Hire the best Flooring Expert

Laying floating laminate over floor with rotten joist

Novice

Default Laying floating laminate over floor with rotten joist

The leaky old garage roof (fully replaced and fixed) let in some rain, which ran along the cement slab and rotted one of the joists under the floor in the granny flat. It's Tasmanian Oak, and has seen a bit of wear over the past 50 years - it would be nice to keep it, it's so dry and wouldn't survive being ripped-up, re-renailed and sanded.

The result is that the floor where the joist is (was?) now sits about 18-25mm lower at the skirting board - only for a 1m section. I don't think it's going to rot any further, but it is likely to crumble further and I'm concerned that it could also attract vermin.

What are the implications of laying floating laminate floorboards straight over it? Would I have to pack it out, or should I put some panels across the whole floor (20m2) to get it all relatively even?

If it's just one low spot, use a latex based floor leveller to fill it. Apart from that you can get away with floating laminate over an slightly uneven or sloping floor if you're not concerned with having a perfectly flat floor.

Don't follow, are you saying part of the floor is devoid of support and you can't fix it! Is access a problem? I would be concerned if the floor has dropped by 25mm.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Don't follow, are you saying part of the floor is devoid of support and you can't fix it! Is access a problem? I would be concerned if the floor has dropped by 25mm.
    I read it as 2.5mm

7K Club Member

If you are going to cover the Tassie Oak, I'd cut it away back to the centre of the joist on either side, repair the joist, relay the Tassie Oak pieces (or use something else the same thickness), and lay the laminate flooring over the top