Hire the best Flooring Expert

Laying spotted gum over yellow tongue

Apprentice (new member)

Default Laying spotted gum over yellow tongue

Hi,
    I need to lay about 70m2 of 80*19 spotted gum flooring. What adhesive is now recommended and should I trowel or snake it along the boards. The rooms are unlikely to be square so what is the best method of adjustment to ensure boards end up parallel to the walls. I will be secret nailing. Should I add some extra screws to the yellow tongue to ensure a solid platform. It is currently nailed and screwed.
    Thankyou

Default Laying spotted gum over yellow tongue

Obviously stick with an adhesive designed for flooring. There's plenty out there: Bostik Ultraset, mapei p990, Sika T55 for just a few. I'm always a fan of more glue however most people will just 'snake it on'. This ok I guess as it is similar to applying glue on to batons. So if you stick to glueing at a minimum of 500mm it should be ok. This snaking would usually run perpendicular to the flooring.
    Same with secret nails, the more the merrier. Again try and line at least some of them up with bearers so they can get good purchase through the ply.
    I'm pretty sure there is a new best practice which says ply should be screwed down prior to a timber floor being fixed to it.
    Remember above all go with the manufacturers recommendation (should come on the packaging of the timber), and acclimatize the flooring prior to installation.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

Forgive my ignorance but why is adhesive necessary when the boards are not only nailed but fixed to a substrate that (I would've thought) would mitigate changes in conditions?
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Apprentice (new member)

Hi, thanks for the advice. Where I said the yellow tongue was nailed and screwed I meant to say nailed and glued. It looks like I should add some screws before laying the floor. I plan to get a flooring contractor to sand the yellow tongue before laying the floor as some areas previously had tiles layed directly on the yellow tongue with a rubberised adhesive. Are there any secrets or tips to ensure the flooring runs parallel to the walls if the room is slightly out of parallel.
    Thanks in advance

Apprentice (new member)

Almost ready to order the flooring. I will need to buy a secret nail gun. Any recommendations on brands for a one off job? Seems to be a few on eBay to choose from. Do you guys recommend staples or nails and what length should I use for over yellow tongue with 19mm boards? Thanks

Apprentice (new member)

Howdy Mick, I'm in the process of doing exactly what you are planning. I have 70m2 of messmate flooring to lay over yellow tongue that was previously tiled. I removed the tile adhesive with a heat gun and a chisel and then sanded it. Yes, it was as much fun as it sounds.

I bought a Paslode secret nailer off ebay and will be using staples and glue. I've had the timber insider for 5 weeks acclimatising and will start nailing it down in the next week or two.

I can let you know how I go but you might beat me to it in which case can you let me know how you get on ;-)

Regards
    Rickey

Novice

Hi mick, I did I similar job a short while ago with 90m2 of Victoria Ash over yellow tongue. I ended up purchasing a cheap angled air nailer and knee pads from Bunnings and secret nailed using 38mm nails. I had the same attitude regarding buying a secret nailer for a one off job. The nailer cost $149 and the knee pads cost $6.

I could have bought a secret nailer and then sold it online afterwards, but now I have a nail gun for future projects. If it wears out from now onwards I couldn't care less.

I applied the glue to one row of boards at a time to avoid dragging the air hose through the glue. I worked towards myself across the floor so as to not damaging the new timber. I tapped the boards into place using a hammer and scrap timber buffer. Lever any gaps together with a chisel and then nail...

Hope this helps

Apprentice (new member)

Not wanting to hijack the thread but ... How much glue did you apply to each board? Just a strip or did you 'snake' it?

Rickey

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the replies. My flooring arrives today. Will let it settle for a month before laying. I bought a bostich secret nailer from eBay. It had only been used on one job. Not sure whether I will sell it on after this job or keep it. I don't plan on any more flooring but who knows what the future will hold.

Apprentice (new member)

One more question that I just thought of. I have a couple of underfloor heating ducts that I need to cut the flooring around. Do I need to take any precautions as I imagine around the ducts will get a little hotter than the rest of the flooring? Thanks

JB1
    1K Club Member

Heating ducts won't cause issues to timber floorboards

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Hwd Flooring Manufacturer glock40sw's Avatar

Trowel glue with a 3 mm notched trowel. Secret nail with 35mm staples. heating ducts will cause gapping around them due to increased temp and lower RH%.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton