Hire the best Flooring Expert

Luxury Vinyl planks over Cypress Pine

Novice

Default Luxury Vinyl planks over Cypress Pine

We are looking at getting Vinyl planks deployed throughout the house which currently has Cypress Pine floor boards.

One guy who quoted us said that the Vinyl planks can be glued direct to the pine floorboards, the other has said we need to get Masonite deployed first as the planks cant be glued direct to Cypress pine.

This obviously has a big impact on price, so i was hoping any Vinyl layers might be able to give some advice?

We also have a couple of rooms in the house which have yellow tongue deployed.

Thanks

If you must hid away the timber then I'd be going with the second installers advice...masonite under the vinyl.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    If you must hid away the timber then I'd be going with the second installers advice...masonite under the vinyl.

Sorry i dont understand what you mean? All the timber floors will be hidden under the vinyl or are you referring to something else?

P.S Our pine floorboard are in good condition, we consider getting them sanded and stained but then preferred the look of this vinyl throughout the house.

Thanks

He simply means if you wish to cover your nice timber floors in vinyl then better to put in the masonite underlay. I would be trying to get some product notes from the vinyl plank manufacturer and finding out what the recommended instalation method is and stick with that.

Novice

Ah I see, thanks.

Is Cypress pine still a preferred look to other modern day flooring? I thought cypress pine was classed as outdated now and floating floor looks were more preferable?

It will depend on the vinyl planks. If they are to be stuck you will definently need Masonite or other type of sheet sub flooring. Some manufactures have loose laid vinyl which they claim can be installed over any smooth subfloor. Just be aware with vinyl planks most little deviations in the subfloor will be noticeable through the vinyl in time.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

Quote Originally Posted by pommie2000 View Post
    Ah I see, thanks.

Is Cypress pine still a preferred look to other modern day flooring? I thought cypress pine was classed as outdated now and floating floor looks were more preferable?
    Would you consider vinyl Modern ? I consider it a cheap look, reminds me of when growing up always had ugly vinyl in the kitchen, or where I used to work they had vinyl floors in the workshop.

I would prefer real timber floors any day over vinyl, or a fake printed floating floor.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    I would prefer real timber floors any day over vinyl, or a fake printed floating floor.
    Totally agree. Only thing I'd cover my cypress floors with is hardwood boards and only if they really needed it. What age/style is your house (although I can't imagine timber flooring not matching any style really)?

I was bit perplexed when reading the title which contained two words I have never associated with each other LUXURY and VINYL
    We have worked on a lot of Luxury houses and I don't recall seeing any Vinyl in any of these residents .

Agreed, after laying plenty of jobs, 'LuxuryVinylTiles' is definently a name made up by marketing departments.
    Although the clients have always been really impressed with the look and durability of vinyl.

Golden Member

I used DaVinci vinyl planks throught my kitchen (only spot) when i did my reno. House is bearers and joists, tongue and groove flooring. I wanted floating floor but my view was changed for a few reasons.

1. My kitchen is adjacent to the Laundry, a wet area, and right near the back door, it is a thoroughfare to the back door. The Vinyl is a commercial style, 150mm wide planks a meter long i think they are. 4 years old havent faded, scratched or stained. They are soft under foot, which is good when the kids go @@@@ up, and good when you drop something. I had my dish drawer play up and dumped a load of water on the floor. Simple as trying it up. Who knows what would have happend to a floating floor with that much water.

I think i paid about 85 or 90 bucks a sq m laid for it, and they definitely laid masonite straight over the existing flooring.

Apprentice (new member)

I recently did my cypress pine floors with feast watson black japan stain at 50% dilution with satin polyurethane over the top, the final look is quiet modern I think.

I like the look and had a quick look through some of the album and looks like you've done a good job of the floors.
    Well done!