Hire the best Flooring Expert

Matching recycled boards to existing Baltic pine

Novice

Default Matching recycled boards to existing Baltic pine

Hi All,

I am looking to polish the boards in my newly acquired house which hasa 152x22 baltic pine boards. As I started removing the carpets from front to back I was happy to see the boards had never been sanded/polished and covered with lino in 1969 (dated thanks to the sheet of newspaper left underneath) and the carpet added later. However as I got to the back of the house (lounge rooom) unfortunately at some point in the last 10-15 years it was recarpeted and for some reason underneath the original boards had been ripped out and replaced with particle board in about an 8m2 section.

Given the price of recycled boards (up to $20 lineal metre im told) what should I be looking out for to make for a good match between thew existing boards and the new additions? I'm sure to a novice like me all old boards will look the same, just wondered if there was any tips/tricks to finding a good match.

Thanks in advance.

If possible, see if you can grab one, or even better, two pieces of your Baltic from home, sand it down and coat it with whatever your preferred coating is going to be, then take the samples to your secondhand timber dealer and have him hunt out a match for you.
    Give him some of your preferred coating so he can coat a couple of his boards, thus providing you with a perfect match.

After you're satisfied that what he is selling you is the go, have him sign both your samples and his samples and take them home. After the floor is installed, sanded and finished and it all looks the goods, well, obviously throw the samples to the chithouse. But, if after the install and finishing is done and the boards don't look anything like both lots of samples, you will still have a leg to stand on if you feel the need to discuss it with the secondhand dealer.

The reason I'd go to theses lengths is seeing as you are a novice it's very easy to buy the wrong material, as Baltic Pine comes in three different colours and it's tough to know the difference when looking at racks of old material in a wood yard.
    And at $20 bucks a LM I think it's only fair you make them earn their dough.

hi - if you must match then take time to look for boards that are definitely the exact same profile. They will be around, it just might take a bit of time to find them. As far as matching colour and patination, it is possible but most unlikely that you will be able to. What a number of my clients have done is replace boards from a smaller room in the home, then use the 'new' ones in that room. It is a lot of messing around though and if you're anything like me, you want to get on with other parts of your renovation work.

If you're willing to sand all the boards - the new ones and those leading up to the area to be refloored - you'll achieve a good match. If you want to get as good a match as possible to the existing, without messing with them then it is hard to advise. You can remove several boards from the existing floor and mix-n-match them all together to help the transition, but you run the real risk of damaging the existing boards when removing them.

Maybe it would be best to just try to find boards that are already a reasonable match

Let me know if you need referrals .... also please state how much (lineal metres) you need to do the job.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Novice

Thanks for the quick reply!

Dusty, that sounds like a great idea. And if I end up buying from a dealer Id certainly give that a crack. I am however looking at a few ebay / Trading Post ads and see that you can score lots for 10/lm or less. I assume you're average backyard seller with a small lot wont want me polishing their boards. 

Steve, a great idea! Im looking for about 85 lineal / 14m2 approximately which coincidentally is the same size as two of the front bedrooms. Now to go find some threads about how to get the others up without destroying them...

If you did have a referral for some dealers around Melbourne that would be great. I will have a look at what the net auctions bring up over the next month but if that is too tedious I'll definitely look to the established dealers.

Thanks

1K Club Member

Someone is having alend of youat $20 a metre. Here is a link to some extremely cheap timber though.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...ghlight=baltic

Tools

Novice

Default Crikey!

$1 a metre, sounds too good to be true! But beggers, chooser and all so I will check it out. Thanks

agt
    Apprentice (new member)

Let me know how much you want.I have some old boards of that size that should match.You can inspect any time
    or call me on 0425778713
    Quote Originally Posted by g1r2e3g View Post
    Hi All,

I am looking to polish the boards in my newly acquired house which hasa 152x22 baltic pine boards. As I started removing the carpets from front to back I was happy to see the boards had never been sanded/polished and covered with lino in 1969 (dated thanks to the sheet of newspaper left underneath) and the carpet added later. However as I got to the back of the house (lounge rooom) unfortunately at some point in the last 10-15 years it was recarpeted and for some reason underneath the original boards had been ripped out and replaced with particle board in about an 8m2 section.

Given the price of recycled boards (up to $20 lineal metre im told) what should I be looking out for to make for a good match between thew existing boards and the new additions? I'm sure to a novice like me all old boards will look the same, just wondered if there was any tips/tricks to finding a good match.

Thanks in advance.