Hire the best Flooring Expert

Meranti Floorboards - where to find?

Apprentice (new member)

Question Meranti Floorboards - where to find?

Hi All - First up, thank you for such an informative site -it is always my first port of call !!!

We are currently renovating our lounge/meals/kitchen area - it is one large room.
    It was originally divided by slate in the meals/kitchen area, but to keep a uniform look we have pulled the slate up and I was planning on polishing the boards underneath (the same as the lounge).

The only problem is that there are damaged boards in a section of this area that need to be replaced. The boards are Meranti (108mm wide) and I am having a real problem finding more to replace this area.

I have contacted all the floorboard recycling businesses around melbourne, and one had some for us. Unfortunately it is not enough

Can anyone please help me sourcing some of these boards? (I have even asked a couple of local houses that are to be demolished - but they werent the same)

HELP PLEASE!!! (Hubby is planning tiles if I cannot find any more boards and I DO NOT want tiles)

Thanks
    Nicole

Short of finding these boards, there should be a timber yard that can mill these up for you.

Golden Member

One of the best places to find the same boards you need is from other rooms in the house that are carpeted. Remove boards and replace with sheet flooring.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Short of finding these boards, there should be a timber yard that can mill these up for you.
    Do you know of any places near Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish View Post
    One of the best places to find the same boards you need is from other rooms in the house that are carpeted. Remove boards and replace with sheet flooring.
    Although a good idea - the whole house is already polished boards and no carpet going down (even checked under tiles in bathroom with no luck) so it will have to be external source.

try this:
    • work out the years those boards (size) were used in Melb houses, in Perth meranti was used a bit in the 60s.
    • ring house demolishers in those areas/suburbs and ask if they are knocking anything down soon.
    • in Perth a lot of demolition isn't recycled (too much labour) but you can grab it before demolition if you are quick.
    • try g*tree for house demolitions and demolishers