Hire the best Flooring Expert

Is it OK to sand across the grain ?

Default Is it OK to sand across the grain ?

I'm planning on re-finishing the floors in our home before we move in, the boards are pine and look to be about 100mm wide(4"). The on-line videos I've seen show that the floor is sanded in the direction that the boards are laid (with the grain), however the hallway in our house has boards running across the hallway and not down it's length, is it OK the sand across the grain with a drum machine or do I need to break out the belt sander for the hallway.
    Cheers

3K Club Member

Use an orbital sander not belt sander. It should do the trick although you'll take a while.

Ditto, perhaps give it a light pass with the drum then spend some time with a ROS taking out the marks.

When I sanded our floors the hallway was the same as your situation. To do this I sanded using a floor edger to do the first cut then finsihed with a festool orbital sander to remove the scratches and ready for the polivac.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies, seesm like the random orbital sander is the go, luckily the passage is not too long.
    Cheers

I tried to sand the floor with a ROS and the going was very slow, the boards were not flat, and mostly convex, hard to get into the low points. I reasoned that sanding marks that were either with or across the grain would both need the same amount of sanding to remove, so like John suggested I used the drum sander acrosss the grain to flatten the boards, I then went through several grades of sanding grit from 40 and finished off at 120. Almost no sanding marks remained after this, less than 30 mins spent with the ROS removed the last of the marks all that remains is the edge sanding and the bits around the door jambs. Total time spent so far is less than 2 hours and most of this was to flatten the boards.

3K Club Member

Sounds like a good result.