Hire the best Flooring Expert

Old concrete slab in middle of room demo

Novice

Default Old concrete slab in middle of room demo

I've got the reminants of an old old bathroom slab that was constructed over my b&j house. It's been tiled over with the rest of the room floor boards (i'm certain they are just stained pine). I want to rip the slab up and finish with some floor boards to match the rest of the room. If the new boards but up against the existing boards is it possible to sand and finish only the new boards? Or will I have to redo the whole room?
    Pic attached (hopefully it works)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-south-top.jpg  

Old Chippy 6K

Possible, but won't match so it depends what you are prepared to put up with in any difference.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Novice

Yea I thought matching would have been hard. We had a floor sander come out and his thoughts were we would have to sand ALL the timber floors in the house. I'm on a tight budget so even though new flooring wouldn't match, it couldn't be any worse than what it is now with tiles.

Any one have any thoughts on what may look good as a contrast to the existing boards

2K Club Member

I would try and match the existing . Down the track you could have the money to sand the whole lot.

The existing might be cypress but need a better pic of the boards

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by goldie1 View Post
    I would try and match the existing . Down the track you could have the money to sand the whole lot.

The existing might be cypress but need a better pic of the boards
    My assumption was that you would match the timber by using the same type (and it might be cypress, might be radiata) - but matching the finish is hard even if you do sand the lot although either of these pines sanded back are easier than many to get close.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.