Hire the best Flooring Expert

Overlay flooring on floor boards...

Default Overlay flooring on floor boards...

Hi Guys,

moving from an extension into the old part of the house and in doing do am laying over existing floor boards. They are running the same way as the new ones so the advise I have received is to lay 4mm hardwood ply down and lay over the top.

questions are, should I remove the old coating? Should I glue the ply down? Should I staple and if so at what spacings?

thanks in advance,

Willy

post not clear, assume you are going over the top of old with new 19mm flooring, a quick sand, very good clean and secret nail/glue to old boards. This is only good for <90mm new boards. Anything wider >90mm top nail recommended into old joists.

Not sure of existing floor but if structurally sound it is basically a platform floor and install accordingly.

putting 4mm ply isn't going to help anything except waste time and money and give a crap job. Unless you have a difference in height from old to new, which should'nt be the case if this was thought about before.......
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

Thanks for the reply.

i am laying 13mm hardwood flooring it is 80mm wide. The problem is the flooring is running parallel over the original flooring, the recommendations are that it should be laid at 90degrees or risk the possibility of movement from the lower boards. The 4mm was suggested to take the possibility of movement out of play. I had always planned to use 19mm but when this suggestion was made, I went down to 13 mm with the view to using 4mm ply hence the difference in floor heights.

if anyone has some feedback on ply method that would be appreciated?

cheers,

willy

I can't see the ply helping unless the new boards are a floating design rather than nailed down. If you are nailing through the old boards and into the joists, everything will be locked together and the two layers of boards are likely to expand & contract in union. Is there a reason you can't take up the original boards?

Quote Originally Posted by willy72 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

i am laying 13mm hardwood flooring it is 80mm wide. The problem is the flooring is running parallel over the original flooring, the recommendations are that it should be laid at 90degrees or risk the possibility of movement from the lower boards. The 4mm was suggested to take the possibility of movement out of play. I had always planned to use 19mm but when this suggestion was made, I went down to 13 mm with the view to using 4mm ply hence the difference in floor heights.

if anyone has some feedback on ply method that would be appreciated?

cheers,

willy
    The 13mm assumes the existing subfloor is structurally sound so it doesnt matter which direction you lay it, installed same as floating floor.

Boral 13mm Solid Strip Flooring
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

Time and cost mostly, the boards would have to be replaced with something. Seems like a big job given the old boards are in good nick and flat.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Why not just use the old boards if they are in good condition?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I like the idea of the ply.
    It is known that when using two different products the seasonal movement must be similar when laminating them together. This was a problem with older engineered boards when they first came out. If the the lower boards want to expand because of higher humidity they should be allowed to.
    Go with the original advice, in my mind its the right way.
    I love the idea of overlay floors!
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

Thanks for the feedback...

So I'm going with the ply, I just don't know if to sand first, glue the ply and nail or just lay the ply raw over the existing coated boards and nail it.

anymore advice would be great.

cheers

willy

Unless the original boards are extremely uneven, the ply will help level everything out. If you are a real perfectionist, you might try running a straight-edge over the old floor and just sand down any high spots.

A rough sand to get rid of some of the old coating wouldn't hurt. If you're going with thin ply it won't take too many of the peaks or troughs out as it will bend in with the subfloor.
    I'd use glue and nails. Remember that the nails for the surface timber will more than likely go all the way through the ply too.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13