Hire the best Flooring Expert

Patching and levelling yellowtongue

Default Patching and levelling yellowtongue

I have replaced a couple of bits of yellow tongue flooring during my renos. The new stuff seems a bit thinner than the existing (mid 90's), perhaps because of swelling over time, and a couple of spots of the old yellow tongue have got chips mostly due to poor removal technique.

1. What is the best to fill in a few chips in the old yellow tongue, about the size of a 50c piece, but not a hole? ie the bit above the tongue has come away when i lifted the old sections out. Preferably a product to allow sanding to smooth.
    2. The new board is slightly thinner than the old, not enough to pack from underneath, but a few mm. Worthy of sanding the step back. Is there a suitable filler that could be used to feather the transition over maybe 100mm? Something like floor leveler, that can be easily sanded back to smooth. I could sand back the old boards, but would prefer to add rather than subtract thickness.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

The Livos Lady

Timber mate putty would be one choice to use to fill up any holes. If the holes are deep, you may need to reputty if the putty shrinks or settles down when dry. Once dry, it is easily sandable.

I would probably think it would be easier to sand the surface rather than fill. It will also depend on how big an area you have and wether an orbital would do or wether you would need a belt sander.
    Angela Petruzzi
    The Livos Lady

Ive got a belt sander, so sanding down is no real issue. Will give the timber putty a go so the holes. That was my first thought, but wondered if there was a product available in larger quantities, like floor leveler compound is.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

Timber mate on particleboard and then a belt sander over it? off comes the putty. If you really must putty a particleboard floor, use something that will stay on like two parts body filler.
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Timber mate on particleboard and then a belt sander over it? off comes the putty. If you really must putty a particleboard floor, use something that will stay on like two parts body filler.
    +1

I'd be tempted to use a suitable flexible floor levelling compound to create a feather edge; a lot cheaper than bulk quantities of bog or timbermate!
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)