Hire the best Flooring Expert

Plank on Ply Floor Installation

Apprentice (new member)

Default Plank on Ply Floor Installation

Hey Guys,

I am wanting to install 2200 wide prefinished oak boards to a suspended concrete slab.

I figure that plank on ply is the best way to install.

I was going to adhesive fix the boards to the ply with bostik ultraset.

But how should I affix the ply to the slab? I was worried that concrete nails may affect the integrity of the suspended and create a stress point?

Any suggestions or tips for this whole process are much appreciated.

Thanks for any assistance

Ben

TIMBER FLOOR CONTRACTOR Larry McCully's Avatar

Hi BKEL, Are you installing Uniwood 220 wide american oak prefinished. What type did you end up with. I am very familur with 220 wide board. and its a dream to install. Fasten the ply down with 50mm spikes from Powers fasteners. Maxcim have a simular type called a splitz anchor. Predrill through the ply and into the concrete using a 6.5mm Masonry bit. 15 fasteners per sheet. them secret nail the flooring on top. Use a 6mm bead of flooring adhesive 300mm apart as well as the nailing.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry McCully View Post
    Hi BKEL, Are you installing Uniwood 220 wide american oak prefinished. What type did you end up with. I am very familur with 220 wide board. and its a dream to install. Fasten the ply down with 50mm spikes from Powers fasteners. Maxcim have a simular type called a splitz anchor. Predrill through the ply and into the concrete using a 6.5mm Masonry bit. 15 fasteners per sheet. them secret nail the flooring on top. Use a 6mm bead of flooring adhesive 300mm apart as well as the nailing.

Thanks Larry. We are actually buying prefinjshed European oak. The grey colour from havwoods.

The supplier said that we could not secret nail due to the width of the boards. Only adhesive fix. Have you secret nailed with boards this wide in the past?

I was worried that all those anchors wouldn't be good for the suspended slab? We are on the first floor of an apartment.

Cheers

Ben