Hire the best Flooring Expert

Raising floor before installing floating floor

Apprentice (new member)

Default Raising floor before installing floating floor

Hi All,

I am about to install floating engineered boards over the current hardwood flooring in my house. For the majority of the house this won't be an issue, however there is one room that sits around 90mm lower than the rest. The floor in this room is a concrete slab, and the plan is to build this room up with joists to match the rest of the house.

My question is, should I install yellow tongue floor panels on top of the joists prior to the new floating floors? My concern is the sound difference when walking on the boards. The room is only around 12sqm so the cost isn't an issue.

Or perhaps I'm going about this completely the wrong way? What is the best way to get the lower floor to match the rest before laying the new boards?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JTdotWK View Post
    Hi All,

I am about to install floating engineered boards over the current hardwood flooring in my house. For the majority of the house this won't be an issue, however there is one room that sits around 90mm lower than the rest. The floor in this room is a concrete slab, and the plan is to build this room up with bearers to match the rest of the house.

My question is, should I install yellow tongue floor panels on top of the bearers prior to the new floating floors? My concern is the sound difference when walking on the boards. The room is only around 12sqm so the cost isn't an issue.

Or perhaps I'm going about this completely the wrong way? What is the best way to get the lower floor to match the rest before laying the new boards?

Thanks!
    I think you will be fine laying the particle board over your joists. Do research sound-deadening underlays for floating floors as there are quite a few available. I did a floating floor over cyprus flooring and particle board combination with a cheap basic underlay and I don't recall hearing any difference as I walked on it.