Hire the best Flooring Expert

Sanding a bad varnish finish

Apprentice (new member)

Default Sanding a bad varnish finish

Hi everyone,

Whilst I was overseas doing some work, my wife had to get a broken floorboard replaced by a local tradie. Whilst we have used some great ones in the past, this guy has replaced the broken floorboard and painted it with clear varnish. Now when I saw the work, I could see a significant over brush of the surrounding floor boards. So now the floor looks quite odd with patches of varnish appearing rough and not really part of the whole floor.

Is there a way I can sand back only the affected areas and re varnish without having to get my whole floors sanded? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard

I would cut it back with wet and dry using it wet until its all flat and blended in. I would then use a polishing compound with a very fine wet and dry paper used wet until it shines to match the current sheen level of the remaining floor. You will notice the new patch but at least it will remove the brush marks. use a polishing machine and watch out as it will throw a lot of water and polishing compound as it spins. use water and washing up liquid mixed lightly to prevent paper clogging. You can do it by hand it just takes more hard work. Start around 300 and end with 600-800 grit. take your time and dont try to rush it.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by grantbudd View Post
    I would cut it back with wet and dry using it wet until its all flat and blended in.
    Thanks for the quick reply grantbudd, I will give it a go and see how it turns out. Cheers.

Default Sanding a bad varnish finish

I have never heard of using wet and dry paper nor wet cut back methods on timber floors. Not saying it won't work but just I haven't heard of it.

I would recommend a cutback and coat over the whole floor as the only way to match the film thickness AND sheen.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

keep car polish away from the floor as it contains silicone and the floor will never be able to be recoated again.