Hire the best Flooring Expert

Are these Cypress pine or Baltic pine floorboards?

Novice

Default Are these Cypress pine or Baltic pine floorboards?

I’ve had three quotes for sanding, all said different species so still unclear as to what they are! The sanders said:
    Radiata /Cypress pine
    kari pine
    baltic pine
    so does any one know what they really are? Hoping for Baltic as I’m after a nice light wood, limed finish but my instinct tells me they are Cypress pine!
    also, they’ve tried to sway me to the bona white prime + HD topcoat but I’m leaning towards the greasy Watson lined water based flooring as it’s 1/4 of the price! Has anyone thoughts on what’s better? We used the feast lined in our old place but not sure if they only did 2 coats as tfe cypress still looked yellow. Hoping fir much whiter this time around!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1dce73ca-4384-428f-a8b7-77d7f0fa0fc2.jpg   4f6b8bac-7019-4647-81c5-c367e9163325.jpg   926343e3-38e7-482b-aa66-628d2511e47a.jpg  

Best to sand a small area and check but from the knots in the timber I would bet on Radiata.

The knots look too big and too sparse for Baltic, Cypress often has a lot of colour variation which there does not appear to be.

I agree with Radiata. The last photo gives it away with the knots on the edges at 45 degrees. But hard to be sure from photos.

This is Baltic ... (with a bit of white wash)
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Confucius

1K Club Member

Baltic

Tools

How old is the house? Age gives a clue, however I lean towards Radiata as well

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    How old is the house? Age gives a clue, however I lean towards Radiata as well
    It was built in 1950. I sanded a patch back today and they are quite light and donít smell like cypress. Is radiata lighter than yellow cypress?

Novice

I think you are correct. I sanded a patch and the wood is a really light colour unlike when we sanded our previous hoses boards which were cypress and really yellow

Cypress is out. The toss is between Baltic or Radiata.
    Confucius

Agree with Marc, would have thought 1950 a bit early for Radiata. I still think they are unlikely to be Baltic.

Sanding back to white does sound like Radiata

Old Chippy 6K

Radiata flooring was uncommon in 1950 as there were few forests in Australia - it was imported from the US as 'Monterey pine" as framing timber.
    But Baltic was not used much in Sydney by then either.
    Cypress sands a light yellow radiator almost white, but cypress not necessarily with the pine odour after 70+ years.
    Radiata you can mark with a thumb nail or easily with a screwdriver (baltic too) - cypress is much harder.
    My guess is cypress.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

1K Club Member

I reckon it's Cypress.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I don't think it is cypress pine, however that is easily identifiable by smell. Sand a small area and smell. Then do the same with a known piece of cypress. the smell is unique and easy to identify.
    Confucius

Cypress.

Quote Originally Posted by Basilratbrush View Post
    Iíve had three quotes for sanding, all said different species so still unclear as to what they are! The sanders said:
    Radiata /Cypress pine
    kari pine
    baltic pine
    so does any one know what they really are? Hoping for Baltic as Iím after a nice light wood, limed finish but my instinct tells me they are Cypress pine!
    also, theyíve tried to sway me to the bona white prime + HD topcoat but Iím leaning towards the greasy Watson lined water based flooring as itís 1/4 of the price! Has anyone thoughts on whatís better? We used the feast lined in our old place but not sure if they only did 2 coats as tfe cypress still looked yellow. Hoping fir much whiter this time around!
    Cypress was very popular during your build period,but all pine will yellow with age.If your Floor Sander is supplying whitewash finish ask for examples of colour.
    If you intend to "DIY" whitewash,have a look at both Murobond and Porters products.
    Cheers,
    Blocker