Hire the best Flooring Expert

Tongue & Groove (T&G) compatibility: yellow tongue structuflor and T&G hardwood plank

Apprentice (new member)

Default Tongue & Groove (T&G) compatibility: yellow tongue structuflor and T&G hardwood plank

Stumped hardwood house. Platform method used (floor completely covered with T&G hardwood planks then internal walls assembled on top). Built 1960.

Bathroom had 19mm hardwood T&G but rotted. All removed now. Going for yellow tongue and tile underlay. Boards were continuous under the wall frames and not enough joist edge showing after removing the boards (8-13mm), so I will need to install sister joists on each side of the room to support the ends of the board. I'm confident that this is the only way forward with this, but feel free to give other ideas if you have any.

The hallway entrance to the bathroom has T&G boards and these need to change to the yellow tongue. Do I need to put noggings in between joists to attach the last T&G and also to attach the starting edge of the yellow tongue, or will the yellow tongue's grooved edge take the hardwood tongue enough?

In lieu of knowing for sure, I can hook it up and see if noggings need to be added from underneath, but thought I'd see if anyone has experience with this.

2K Club Member

Not sure what you're asking exactly, but always a good idea to support the ends of YT where they butt...pics?

I did this in the cottage I refurbed and a good step is to lightly run a belt sander over the YT before gluing. I completely glued the floor down and secret nailed it, plus top nailed the whole thing...If you are planning to top nail, make sure you mark the joist positions on the walls...
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    Not sure what you're asking exactly, but always a good idea to support the ends of YT where they butt...pics?

I did this in the cottage I refurbed and a good step is to lightly run a belt sander over the YT before gluing. I completely glued the floor down and secret nailed it, plus top nailed the whole thing...If you are planning to top nail, make sure you mark the joist positions on the walls...
    Butts of the YT will be sitting on the sister joists I will install. It is the long edge that meets the existing T&G planks where I am interested in whether or not the existing planks tongue will fit into the YT groove.

The photo shows the existing joist on the left, which is only exposed because the existing wall bottom plate is rotted out. You can see the remaining T&G hardwood along the top of photo, and it will be under a new bottom plate (existing bottom plate has been removed since it is also rotted out).
    20161219_092607.jpg

Golden Member

Why do you require the tongue to go into the groove of the yt?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Why do you require the tongue to go into the groove of the yt?
    To eliminate appearance of a difference in surface height. Nogging underneath at the join, removing the tongue off the T&G plank and then nailing both YT and T&G to these noggings is the backup plan, but I'm thinking that having them T&G mated will be a better method to stop movement up or down at the interface.

2K Club Member

Without the pieces in front of me I'd pretty much guarantee the HW and YT T&G will not marry...most HW floor I've come across has the T&G toward the bottom..the YT is centered...

For my money I'd take off the tongue and do the noggin/s and butt directly up...as per your backup plan...

The Q will be how to get a good strong connection between the noggin and the two joists. How about making a "H" shape and then batten screw the legs of the H to the joists...or even joist hangers...screwed in place...
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Golden Member

Nail gun in position first then batten screw is what id do...

What is the floor coverings going to be?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    Without the pieces in front of me I'd pretty much guarantee the HW and YT T&G will not marry...most HW floor I've come across has the T&G toward the bottom..the YT is centered...

For my money I'd take off the tongue and do the noggin/s and butt directly up...as per your backup plan...

The Q will be how to get a good strong connection between the noggin and the two joists. How about making a "H" shape and then batten screw the legs of the H to the joists...or even joist hangers...screwed in place...
    The hardwood has its tongue centred, so I guess its just a question of dimensions. I was hoping that the YT was specification-controlled and that all brands would be the same and published, but I can't find anything online.

Joist hangers...I like it. Thanks.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Nail gun in position first then batten screw is what id do...

What is the floor coverings going to be?
    Tiles. But across this join at the entrance to the room. There is a door tread covering it, some behind the door, and in the corner in the photo will be a vanity over some of it. So cyclic loading will be low.

Apprentice (new member)

Finally got the yellow tongue here today. Yep, the tongue of the YT fits in the groove of the plank but with heaps of movement, so not reliable. And this means that the tongue of the plank does not fit into the YT board's groove. Off that tongue comes in the morning!

can you cut back the tongu and groove in the door way and have the join between the two materials at the end of the tiles? we did this where the cement sheet met the hardwood. still did the nnoggin underneath to tie the two together but kept the floo covering on one subfloor material only.