Hire the best Flooring Expert

Waterproofing Cypress pine floor boards

Novice

Default Waterproofing Cypress pine floor boards

We have a room that is being converted to a laundry. We currently have cypress pine floor boards throughout and was wondering if its possible / practical to retain the pine look and waterproof them?
    As the washing machine and sink will be installed here we had originally planned to get it tiled, however ive seen some designs on Houzz where wooden floors are used in laundry's.

Any advice appreciated.

Default Waterproofing Cypress floors

Hi Pommie- marine grade clear polyurethane is perfect. Sand back well, apply several thinned coats with a roller allowing 24 hrs between each coat and sanding back between each coat. If the near final coat feels nice and smooth do the last rubbing back with OOO grade wire wool.
    there is a choice of high gloss or satin depending on your preference - I prefer the high gloss as I think the satin looks permanently unclean! Result is bombproof! Have fun.

It's only a problem if you have leaks, and with no waste outlet. We've cypress pine flooring in our 50's fibro with about ten holes drilled through incase of leaks or overflow.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by shanetorque View Post
    It's only a problem if you have leaks, and with no waste outlet. We've cypress pine flooring in our 50's fibro with about ten holes drilled through incase of leaks or overflow.

Ah yeah it makes sense. Even if the wood was waterproofed i would still need somewhere for any water to flow and with the floor being totally flat this would pose a problem.

I assume that if i did have to go down the tile root they would angle them slightly so water runs towards a drainage hole.

I don't see how i have any option but to tile as leaked water could run anywhere under cabinets that you wouldn't be able to get too unless drilling loads of holes everywhere.

I honestly don't know how often bathroom fittings actually leak. I can not remember it ever hearing of it happening to anyone I know, but people are so worried about. If a pipe bursts for example isn't there more to worry about than just a wet floor?

3K Club Member

The high end wet areas with exposed timber are very expensive because each board is treated with an epoxy resin (top, bottom and sides) then secured to the treated rafters.

After it's all down it is given another two cots of epoxy resin then several coats of high UV resistant varnish.

The end result looks fantastic, but has to be sanded and re coated every 5 to 6 years.

Discreet drainage is achieved by placing the waste outlet under the washing machine and the floor has some fall when put down to ensure any water runs in that direction.

There is also an aluminum or brass angle in the doorway to stop water getting into the untrated timber on the other side of it.

Have you considered placing Tile underlay over boards, waterproofing the full floor (with a proper waste outlet) and wall to floor flashing's. Then laying some timber pattern vinyl over the floor with a coving on the wall floor junction?

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Novice

This is an existing floor so no chance to create any fall for the water to run.

Im fine laying ceramic tiles on top, just would have preferred the keep the pine look as its throughout the house.

Thanks for all the comments.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by pommie2000 View Post
    This is an existing floor so no chance to create any fall for the water to run.

Im fine laying ceramic tiles on top, just would have preferred the keep the pine look as its throughout the house.

Thanks for all the comments.
    There is still an alternative, if you go with the underlay you can use the timber look 900 by 159 or 200 mm timber look tiles. You could also add the required fall using using a leveling compound with a little sand added to the mix. The compound van be added before or after waterproofing and is more flexible than screed and can be just a few mm thick.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

I'd put a few good coats of floor coating down and take the gamble that your taps won't leak.
    Worst case, in the future, if the taps leak, cut out the cupped/damaged boards, replace with FC sheet and tile then.