Hire the best Flooring Expert

Is Wattyl Estapol 7008 still recommended?

Question Is Wattyl Estapol 7008 still recommended?

Hello all.

I started in this forum around 15 years ago with my first big DIY reno job which was to sand and polish the entire house (except one area) using Wattyl Estapol 7008. It turned out great, but I put in a *ton* of effort over 3 weeks "holidays" and fussed and fretted over every detail and swapped over several rental sanders for ones that actually worked properly. This forum helped out a lot and has since helped out with many other reno type jobs.

Anyway.... 15 years on and it's time to get back to that one area not polished which is the Kitchen/dining area. I've decided to go with the original tassie oak floarboards in the kitchen and so I can finally remove that fugly vinyl floor covering. Last room to be renovated in the house. Whoo hoo. (After which I may need to start hanging around the Landscaping forum a bit more.)

I want to go back to the Estapol 7008 as it looked great and has been super durable over the past 15 years. Wasn't the easiest stuff to work with, but the overall result was good.

I am finding that it is a little hard to get hold of. Seems to be advertised here and there, but no stock and I've had comments such as "ohhh, we haven't been asked for that for a long time." and "we stopped selling it as it was moving too slowly".

So my question is - is Estapol 7008 still recommended or has it been superseded by superior products in the last several years? Apart from performance, I would like to stick to the same stuff for consistency even though I know the new application will be lighter than the darkened 15 year old job.

Thanks.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

7008 can still be purchased from some Floor Sanding Supply warehouses. It's still the very best of the 2Pac polyurethanes on the market.

The downside I'm thinking you'll only be able to buy it in a 40LT kit 20 of A/20 of B - whereas, back in the day, when Bunnings carried it, you could get from as little as 500ml containers, up to the 20Lt drums.

Have you tried Bunnings Special Orders? - you'll be surprised what they can come up with.

Thanks for responding Dusty. I did end up buying it through mitre 10. They had to order it. They carry the 500ml bottles so I had to get the 4lt ones ordered.

According to coverage guides, 4lt x 2 = 8lt should *just* do the job with 4 coats, so may need to buy the 500ml bottles too.

Have you asked at a Mitre 10 store ?

https://www.mitre10.com.au/estapol-7008-part-a-500ml
    Their add says they can order it in or order online

Edit You replied while I was typing.

Awesome... also good to know for my own needs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Hello all.

I started in this forum around 15 years ago with my first big DIY reno job which was to sand and polish the entire house (except one area) using Wattyl Estapol 7008. It turned out great, but I put in a *ton* of effort over 3 weeks "holidays" and fussed and fretted over every detail and swapped over several rental sanders for ones that actually worked properly. This forum helped out a lot and has since helped out with many other reno type jobs.

Anyway.... 15 years on and it's time to get back to that one area not polished which is the Kitchen/dining area. I've decided to go with the original tassie oak floarboards in the kitchen and so I can finally remove that fugly vinyl floor covering. Last room to be renovated in the house. Whoo hoo. (After which I may need to start hanging around the Landscaping forum a bit more.)

I want to go back to the Estapol 7008 as it looked great and has been super durable over the past 15 years. Wasn't the easiest stuff to work with, but the overall result was good.

I am finding that it is a little hard to get hold of. Seems to be advertised here and there, but no stock and I've had comments such as "ohhh, we haven't been asked for that for a long time." and "we stopped selling it as it was moving too slowly".

So my question is - is Estapol 7008 still recommended or has it been superseded by superior products in the last several years? Apart from performance, I would like to stick to the same stuff for consistency even though I know the new application will be lighter than the darkened 15 year old job.

Thanks.
    How has it held up over the 15 years ?
    Has it lost it's gloss and worn, yellowed ?
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    How has it held up over the 15 years ?
    Has it lost it's gloss and worn, yellowed ?
    Our floors have seen a lot of abuse. They have had to put up with the raising of two boys who aren’t really mindful of floor care. They have seen abuse from other renovations, having people drag stuff across them, a heavy treadmill placed on them (that actually got use) without carpet under neath, and two dogs, with the recent border collie proving to be the most destructive element particularly when certain family members think it’s fun to play ball on the floorboards making the dog bolt down the hallway and dissipate all his momentum quickly by digging his claws into the floorboards.

So given all of that, the finish itself has held up impressively well. There are dings and scratches but in comparison to the abuse, I am surprised it’s not worse.

Apart from the high traffic areas, the gloss has held up reasonably well. As expected, it has darkened/yellowed but not in a way that I think looks bad. This time next week I will have completed the kitchen dining area so will be interesting to see the comparison. As the kitchen/dining area is in the middle of the house, the new finish job may make all adjoining rooms look like crap. Having said that, after pulling up the vinyl flooring, it looks like the floorboards in this area have seen a lot of action over the past 45 years or so. Lots of “character” in the timber.

Thought I would update this thread.

Most of the house in Wattyl Estapol 7008 and did the kitchen and dining area in a water based Bona Traffic HD.

The Traffic HD went on well and nicer to use, but in comparison to the Wattyl Estapol (which has been down for almost 15 years), I can already tell the Estapol 7008 is much harder wearing than the Bona Traffic. The Traffic looked scratched in no time. In fairness, it is a lighter colour and I did use some Bona White on the floor before coating with the Traffic HD, but it seems the lightest scrape results in visible scratches.