Hire the best Flooring Expert and save up to 40%

What flooring is this?

Novice

Default What flooring is this?

Got a new place. I'm not sure what flooring is this. I think it is pine, but not sure what type.

Attachment 128854

In some locations there are big gaps between the boards and filled up. Seems like the timber floor had shrink with time creating those gaps.
    I was thinking of laying laminates over, or engineering flooring.

Any replies appreciated.

Jspan, can you use this site's image uploader for your pics.

Looks like a period home, from the limited pictures available I would tentatively say Baltic pine.

Its a well regarded flooring for older home, on the soft side. The gaps are part of the character of older homes.
    Personal choice but there is no way I would lay laminate or engineered over the top.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Looks like a period home, from the limited pictures available I would tentatively say Baltic pine.

Its a well regarded flooring for older home, on the soft side. The gaps are part of the character of older homes.
    Personal choice but there is no way I would lay laminate or engineered over the top.
    Thanks. Not a period home but just a classic weatherboard home.
    The reason for thinking about laying over it is the gaps between the some of the timber.

Baltic pine is soft wood, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jspan View Post
    Thanks. Not a period home but just a classic weatherboard home.
    The reason for thinking about laying over it is the gaps between the some of the timber.

Baltic pine is soft wood, am I right?

High ceilings, open fireplace, picture rails, looks period from the photos.
    Any pine marks fairly easily.

Novice

How about laying hardwood over original floors? I read it is feasible.

Glue/Nail down 3mm plywood, then Glue/Nail down blackbutt solid floor over it?

Why? What problem are you trying to solve?
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Why? What problem are you trying to solve?
    The pine floors are old, worn out with gaps between boards. Taking them out is difficult, so thinking of a suitable overlay

That would be like powder coating a hand forged sculpture.
    Leave it as it is, or replace the floor board entirely.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

Gaps are normal, the boards are unlikely to be worn out either

it's radiata pine and looks like some has been sealed with oil based poly and some with water based poly.

I have baltic pine in my hallway and lounge and have the same problem. borer and gaps. We are going to do a proper reno at some stage, so the band aid fix was to lay 12mm laminate over the existing floor with a 6mm underlay.
    No more draughts or spliters!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    it's radiata pine and looks like some has been sealed with oil based poly and some with water based poly.

I have baltic pine in my hallway and lounge and have the same problem. borer and gaps. We are going to do a proper reno at some stage, so the band aid fix was to lay 12mm laminate over the existing floor with a 6mm underlay.
    No more draughts or spliters!
    I haven't got a closer look yet - waiting for settlement, but how can you tell the difference between the two? - radiata pine or baltic pine flooring

I haven't got a closer look yet - waiting for settlement, but how can you tell the difference between the two? - radiata pine or baltic pine flooring
    Sometimes it can be really hard to tell, Baltic tends to have lots of small knots in the timber while Radiata tends to have fewer and larger knots and sometimes the knots run sideways through the timber.
    Baltic generally were wider boards such as yours.

Dusty a member on here has lots of examples on his website

https://www.clintfudgefloorsanding.c...ic-pine-floors
    https://www.clintfudgefloorsanding.c...ta-pine-floors

https://www.clintfudgefloorsanding.c...ic-pine-floors
    As you can see, someone in their infinite wisdom thought "Let's get these gaps filled, it'll look heaps better" - I'm sorry, but NO...it doesn't.
    Ha ha , reminds me of a property I bought in the nineties. Cypress pine covered with rotten carpet, and big gaps. Stripped the carpet and since the gaps were all large and even, I putty them with white putty. Can't remember the mixture I used but it was some home made brew. The outcome was rather pleasing and looked like the deck of a yacht. And the putty stayed put for some 20 years until we removed a wall and decided to replace the lot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

JB1
    1K Club Member

How about laying hardwood over original floors? I read it is feasible.

Glue/Nail down 3mm plywood, then Glue/Nail down blackbutt solid floor over it?
    Very especially, but no need to install plywood between the timber.

You can save some money and use 12-14mm overlay flooring, rather than 18mm solid.

lk

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
    Very especially, but no need to install plywood between the timber.

lk
    I read in some threads some say plywood in necessary while some others says its not.

Iím intending to lay the flooring in the same direction as the original.

I consulted some and they said
    - 3mm plywood glue and nail over existing timber floor
    - 12-14mm solid timber, bostik ultra set glue and hidden nails.

Am I right to say the glue is the main thing holding down the floors, the nails is primarily there to hold the floors down for the glue to set.

Another question - how long should the hidden nails be? Should they be long enough to shoot through to the original timber floor?

Novice

How about this one? Radiate or Baltic flooring?

Attachment 128874

How about this one? Radiate or Baltic flooring?

looks like radiata to me

the post above by Droog with the side by side comparison is pretty spot on. Radiata tends to have big round knots and wider grains. Baltic tends to have smaller knots and closer grains.

I would still lean towards Baltic due to the width of the boards, buts as said it can be very hard to tell.

Do you know the era of the house ? or an outside picture so we can see the style and determine the era.

JB1
    1K Club Member

I read in some threads some say plywood in necessary while some others says its not.

I’m intending to lay the flooring in the same direction as the original.

I consulted some and they said
    - 3mm plywood glue and nail over existing timber floor
    - 12-14mm solid timber, bostik ultra set glue and hidden nails.

Am I right to say the glue is the main thing holding down the floors, the nails is primarily there to hold the floors down for the glue to set.

Another question - how long should the hidden nails be? Should they be long enough to shoot through to the original timber floor?

I can't see what 3mm ply is going to do. It's not very strong, there's a reason why they use 12mm ply under floorboards.

Yes, nails are really there just to hold the timber in place while the glue dries.

You can install the new flooring parallel but ideally perpendicular.

I'd get a rough sand to make the floor slightly flatter and a better bond for the glue.

Yes, nails should shoot through to the bottom. I'd say 38mm secret nails will do.

lk

The glue is what holds the board down ... until a board that was not completely dry starts shrinking and pulling until the glue gives, usually at night with a big bang, and then it is back to the nails to keep it in it's new position.
    The 3mm plywood introduces an added weakness between the old floorboards and the new. Sanding of the old floorboards, glue an secret nail the new boards is the correct procedure.
    The plywood is directed at even out irregularities in the old floorboards. Rather than 3mm plywood, fix the old floorboards properly, screw down the lose one, adjust the joist or bearers under it to achieve level, rather than adding more problems for later to do an expedient job and run.

A much better job is to lift the old boards and lay new ones. Simple really. And would probably cost the same if done by a competent person.
    Mark Twain

I would go with a floating floor as you originally suggested, they look good, no hassle, insulate, no gaps, easy to replace.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

A much better job is to lift the old boards and lay new ones. Simple really. And would probably cost the same if done by a competent person.
    I think it will cost much more to lift the old boards and then install new ones.

Also you can't secret nail it (if that's your preference) nor could you use 12/14mm overlay boards which will increase the price.

You can't secret nail tongue and groove boards?
    And you can not use overlay boards ... well sure, because you are not overlaying.
    And cost? Standard 19mm floorboards if sourced competently, can be cheaper than all that patch up idea of a fix. New floor and new skirting boards, rather than a backwards fix.
    I agree with Phil, a floating floor at least is honestly fake with no pretenses.
    Mark Twain

JB1
    1K Club Member

Can't secret nail if there's no subfloor.

Sk

Novice

I would still lean towards Baltic due to the width of the boards, buts as said it can be very hard to tell.

Do you know the era of the house ? or an outside picture so we can see the style and determine the era.
    First sold 1984. Don’t know anything before.
    Attachment 128885

Apprentice (new member)

Default You have gold, donít cover it

Almost certain they are Baltic pine going by the grain and also width of board. Donít put laminate over them, you will increase the value of tve house and itís way nicer (and cheaper) to have them sanded back and gaps filled. Laminate is always going to look like Laminate and engineered floating wood boards are limited lifespan (as with laminate). Iíd personally sand, lighten them with something like Bona White prime then coat with a water based poly to prevent yellowing. Baltic pine is already quite light though so you can also just sand and water base poly and keep them natural. Or go for a dark if thatís your go.

Novice

I can't see what 3mm ply is going to do. It's not very strong, there's a reason why they use 12mm ply under floorboards.

Yes, nails are really there just to hold the timber in place while the glue dries.

You can install the new flooring parallel but ideally perpendicular.

I'd get a rough sand to make the floor slightly flatter and a better bond for the glue.

Yes, nails should shoot through to the bottom. I'd say 38mm secret nails will do.

lk
    Maybe the ply is to ensure the existing timber floor becomes flat. But if I do a ply in between that is like a double glue. Hmm.....

I have existing hardwood floors in my current house, all nailed from the top to the bottom joists directly. So if i imagine I were to do an overlay, that original floor becomes the sub floor and I need to make sure that original floor is stable with no bounce. If there is a bounce I may have to nail it a couple more nails to secure it. Am I right?

Any floor installers here?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Basilratbrush View Post
    Almost certain they are Baltic pine going by the grain and also width of board. Don’t put laminate over them, you will increase the value of tve house and it’s way nicer (and cheaper) to have them sanded back and gaps filled. Laminate is always going to look like Laminate and engineered floating wood boards are limited lifespan (as with laminate). I’d personally sand, lighten them with something like Bona White prime then coat with a water based poly to prevent yellowing. Baltic pine is already quite light though so you can also just sand and water base poly and keep them natural. Or go for a dark if that’s your go.
    Thanks. But I am really confused now. Haha.

I know old Baltic pine is gold but its still soft wood. Kids will kill it though.
    Beauty versus practicality.

First sold 1984. Don’t know anything before.
    Baltic was commonly used in Melbourne into the 1950’s, the original style of your house underneath the renovations could well fall into that era.

Apprentice (new member)

Your best bet, and cheapest is to sand. Put a heavy duty top coat over and lots of rugs down. My aunt has Baltic pine in her farm house and raised two boys there from babies to 20 odds without an Issue. Itís always been a big entertaining house and stood the test of time. Sheís only just had them resanded recently to freshen them up. You will see a few superficial dents etc but thatís going to happen with any floor , wood it part of the character but scratched laminate looks awful! real wood you can always resand when the tome comes snd change the colour of stain unlike laminate which needs to be replaced when something goes wrong.

I remember as a 5 year old, chiselling a hole in the oak parquet to play marbles with my brothers

Keep your floor until it is really gone. Don't assume. There is always time to replace it, sometime down the track ... far away ... in 20 years.
    Mark Twain

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Basilratbrush View Post
    Your best bet, and cheapest is to sand. Put a heavy duty top coat over and lots of rugs down. My aunt has Baltic pine in her farm house and raised two boys there from babies to 20 odds without an Issue. Itís always been a big entertaining house and stood the test of time. Sheís only just had them resanded recently to freshen them up. You will see a few superficial dents etc but thatís going to happen with any floor , wood it part of the character but scratched laminate looks awful! real wood you can always resand when the tome comes snd change the colour of stain unlike laminate which needs to be replaced when something goes wrong.
    Iím now keen on an overlay using wider blackbutt flooring 13mm thick over the existing flooring.

Iíve been googling around and also other houses and I think mine isnt baltic pine. Pretty distinct from the knots. I will confirm it when I get the keys.

For those who lay solid flooring, how to choose between small width or wider boards? (90/130/180mm)
    I can imagine smaller width boards on big rooms dont look too nice

I’m now keen on an overlay using wider blackbutt flooring 13mm thick over the existing flooring.

I’ve been googling around and also other houses and I think mine isnt baltic pine. Pretty distinct from the knots. I will confirm it when I get the keys.

For those who lay solid flooring, how to choose between small width or wider boards? (90/130/180mm)
    If I remember correctly it is recommended to top nail wider boards due to the risk of cupping. With overlay flooring the usual method is to glue and secret nailing.

Novice

Is it also necessary to put any vapour barrier on the existing timber floor?

I understand it is necessary to sand the existing timber floor a little to (1) make sure it is thoroughly flat and (2) remove the finish, roughen the surface so the glue adheres well. Am I correct?

JB1
    1K Club Member

If I remember correctly it is recommended to top nail wider boards due to the risk of cupping. With overlay flooring the usual method is to glue and secret nailing.
    Assuming moisture isn't an issue and the timber has acclimatised, risk of cupping is low.

Had 180mm overlay hardwood in 2 houses fixed via secret nails and glue. No issues with cupping or gaps.

Is it also necessary to put any vapour barrier on the existing timber floor?

I understand it is necessary to sand the existing timber floor a little to (1) make sure it is thoroughly flat and (2) remove the finish, roughen the surface so the glue adheres well. Am I correct?
    No vapour barrier required as you're not on a slab.

Correct. Good idea.

You can ask the floor sander to do a rough sand.

I got a floor sander to sand my yellow tongue upstairs before installing overlay blackbutt.

All up around 150sqm for which he charged me around $300 from memory. Had other quotes that were 5 times the amount!

Floor sander said he rarely sands yellow tongue, but I wanted it as the edges are never flat, plus glue works better without the wax.

It's all just personal preference.

I used 180mm in my previous and current house as that was my preference.. but it's just my preference.

Attached is a photo, used waterbased satin.

lk

Novice

Had 180mm overlay hardwood in 2 houses fixed via secret nails and glue. No issues with cupping or gaps.
    How do you install the boards closer to the wall where its too tight for the floor nailer?
    Top nail or a finishing nailer at an angle through the tongue (still hidden)?

JB1
    1K Club Member

How do you install the boards closer to the wall where its too tight for the floor nailer?
    Top nail or a finishing nailer at an angle through the tongue (still hidden)?

Finishing nail on top on the first and last row.

You just need to hold it down the the glue dries, so no need for large top nail.

Not very noticeable.

lk

Novice

Finishing nail on top on the first and last row.

You just need to hold it down the the glue dries, so no need for large top nail.

Not very noticeable.

lk
    What brand of pneumatic floor nailer do you use? 16ga nails?

JB1
    1K Club Member

Bostik.

Secret nails/staples are 15g

Sent