Hire the best Gazebo Expert

Alfresco attached to Roof Ceiling Fascia - Is that correct??

Novice

Default Alfresco attached to Roof Fascia - Is that correct??

Hi there, I've recently moved in to a new house and the outdoor area roof doesn't look Ok for my eyes.

IT seems all rafters are attached to the house roof fascia. It is not a big covered area, but still I can't find any example like that on the building code.

I need to replace one of the rafter anyway as it presents advanced rot. There is only on post.

Any thoughts?

image1.pngimage2.pngimage3.png
    Last edited by MecAut; 29th Jul 2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Typo

That entire structure is dodgy, there should have either been fascia brackets, or roof extenda brackets used ,I have seen pergolas attached in a similar way to the fasca and the entire structure fell down from that corner. when a wind got under the roof and snapped the fascia.

Fasci is only a decorative timber it is not for supporting anything other than christmas lights, that beam also looks like Oregon, which would also explain why it's rotting out.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Novice

Default Alfresco attached to Roof Ceiling Fascia - Is that correct??

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    That entire structure is dodgy, there should have either been fascia brackets, or roof extenda brackets used ,I have seen pergolas attached in a similar way to the fasca and the entire structure fell down from that corner. when a wind got under the roof and snapped the fascia.

Fasci is only a decorative timber it is not for supporting anything other than christmas lights, that beam also looks like Oregon, which would also explain why it's rotting out.
    Thanks.
    Yes, I thought it was dodgy as well.

I also noticed the original house gutter is connected to this dodgy structure.
    Is a common practice having dedicated down pipes/gutter for a covered area like this or sharing the gutter is the normal stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MecAut View Post
    Thanks.
    Yes, I thought it was dodgy as well.

I also noticed the original house gutter is connected to this dodgy structure.
    Is a common practice having dedicated down pipes/gutter for a covered area like this or sharing the gutter is the normal stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depends on the design, better designs will have an independant gutter which connects back into the stormwater, this could be the pergola gutter simply splices back into the existing downpipe, cheaper designs will simply tilt the roof towards the house so the runoff drops onto the existing house roof, I don;t like this type of design as it always end up leaking at some point.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir