Hire the best Gazebo Expert

Concerned about almost built verandah

Apprentice (new member)

Default Concerned about almost built verandah

Hello,

So I've built most of my verandah with my brother (who's got some experience, but not a builder). There are some parts of the structure that have untreated pine.

The ridge beam and all side beams are primed laminated treated pine. The rafters, battens and pine lining between them are untreated. Don't ask me why, there was some confusion, being stupid, whatever. I don't want to revisit that.

The roof is now insulated and has the Colorbond sheets installed.

The verandah uses two of the existing house walls and there is to be a third timber wall to be built. I only bought untreated MGP10 for this. I read the permit and may have misinterpreted "H3 F7 TR/PINE". I may have thought that the slash between TR and PINE meant treated or untreated. DUMB. I know.

Anyway, I'm really concerned that the inspector will tell me I need to rip everything down. What do you think? Do you think they tell me to pull it all down? Could I "treat" it myself with a certain paint? Can I just use the untreated MGP10 for the stud wall, if I line it with pine and "treat" that with decking paint?

ver-concern.jpg

7K Club Member

The info in your pic says "OR MPG10" for most members, so what you've used for all those is ok

The top section for stud walls and purlins only specifies H3 TP

Your main issue with what's already built is the purlins/battens, specified as H3 TP but you've used untreated. Whether your inspector will care or even look too hard is "the luck of the draw".

Did the permit require an inspection at 'framing stage'? This happens before the roof goes on to be able to observe your tie down methods

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    The info in your pic says "OR MPG10" for most members, so what you've used for all those is ok

The top section for stud walls and purlins only specifies H3 TP

Your main issue with what's already built is the purlins/battens, specified as H3 TP but you've used untreated. Whether your inspector will care or even look too hard is "the luck of the draw".

Did the permit require an inspection at 'framing stage'? This happens before the roof goes on to be able to observe your tie down methods
    Yes, it requires a frame inspection which I haven't organised yet. I had to install the roof because of the bad weather, but I'll organise the frame inspection once I build the wall.

Apprentice (new member)

I dunno... It just seems that the person who wrote up this plan meant for F7 treated or MPG treated and just wasn't clear or consistent with their formatting when stating it. Like, why ask for treated timber for the plate and studs in the wall, but not for the rafters or collarties, when they are the ones being exposed? I would have thought that the studs in the wall wouldn't need treated timber because they would be covered inside and outside. Doesn't make sense.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by branded View Post
    I dunno... It just seems that the person who wrote up this plan meant for F7 treated or MPG treated and just wasn't clear or consistent with their formatting when stating it. Like, why ask for treated timber for the plate and studs in the wall, but not for the rafters or collarties, when they are the ones being exposed? I would have thought that the studs in the wall wouldn't need treated timber because they would be covered inside and outside. Doesn't make sense.
    Might be worth asking them.

7K Club Member

It is indeed all a little confusing. Maybe the stud wall is to be treated because this would help prevent termites invisibly entering from ground level. Are they an issue in your location?

Let us know how the inspection goes. But you should do all framing before that, including the wall. Interested what they say about the roof and lining being on before frame inspection, as they can't see your bracing or batten screws/tie-down. Progress photos may help with that