Hire the best Gazebo Expert

Rustic Pergola

Apprentice (new member)

Default Rustic Pergola

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at building a flat roofed timber pergola which will be attached to house over a paved courtyard. The basic dimensions are 6meters(along the house) x 4.8 meters(rafters extending from a metal fascia). This structure is intended to look rustic ie: hardwood timber and most likely dark stained/varnished.

My main issue is that for the 6 meter span, I want it to be supported by just 2 posts(1 at each end) and therefore beam needs to be substansial enough to achieve this. It will definately not have any sort of permanent cladding/roofing place on it in the future. I will most likely connect the rafters to the house through fascia using blocking inside the roof of house between roof trusses/ or brackets.

I need to know what sort & dimensions of timber posts & beam I should use to cover this 6 meter span and what sort of spacing I should have for the 4.8m rafters. (I was considering 750mm centers.)

As I am going for a rustic look I don't mind using something chunky and square for the posts and beam but I need to know my minimums.

Thanks in advance

Plonker!

7K Club Member

6m is a very large span. You'd be looking at 2/240x45 in F17 hardwood (if you can get it). You could also use LVL or steel, but any beam spanning 6m is going to be pretty massive and I'd suggest you consider at least one more post to reduce the beam size and add to the overall stability.

Apprentice (new member)

r3nov8or,

thanks for the info, I know its a pretty long span and I'm probably trying to achieve something thats not reasonable but I'm determined to not use steel.

Food for thought.

Thanks again,

plonker!

1K Club Member

Have you considered the option of using steel, but boxing it in to look like timber? That will allow a lighter structure and will achieve the look you seem to be after.

7K Club Member

If you are happy to add a beam across the middle (and therefore 2 more posts; one in the middle of each end) this halves the roof load width and if my calculations are correct means you can do it with a single 240x45 beam at the 'front' and another 240x45 in the middle. This will also reduce the size of the rafters you'll need. It adds two posts, one at each end, but helps add some stability to the whole thing with more posts sharing the load.

This is based on F17 hardwood, which could be hard to find at 240x45 and 6m long.