Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

acrylic vs metal bath

ajm
    Golden Member

Default acrylic vs metal bath

which is better in everyone's opinion? and why? which retains heat for longer? which is easier to put in? product suggestions/tips to make the job really easy? I have been reading about bedding baths down on different materials such as mortar, foam, sand etc. How does one stop the material compacting more than required? for example, if the bath is full when bedding material laid down, won't the bath then rise up once the water drains out forming a gap between the base of the bath and the material on the floor?

I chose an acrylic bath and after 4 years of regular use it is great. Bedded ours down on mortar and as I remember filled it about 1/3 full of water and left it for about 24 hours. It has never moved a millimeter.
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Apprentice (new member)

there is no better or worse material for the bath, it depends on your lifestyle, budget and what you want from a bath. Lightweight and easy to install, acrylic baths are common for people that want to keep the cost down. Acrylic itself retains the heat and is easy to clean just with a bit of elbow grease . acrylic baths can not be as durable as other baths such as stone resin or steel and can also discolour if abrasive chemicals are used to clean them making them look old and worn out.

If your bathroom is busy and is used often then steel baths could be better as they ar durable. Steel baths like acrylic retain the heat and you can use almost any cleaning chemical as few chemicals can actually damage the bath. A crucial downside of steel baths is that they are extremely heavy which makes it difficult to install on your own.

Apprentice (new member)

There are pro's & con's to both types of baths.
    A steel bath will retain the heat for longer. Metal is a conducter of heat, however will take more hot water to heat it up. An acrylic will be hot straight away, but will lose its heat quicker.
    An Acrylic bath will scratch, a steel can chip. Scratches in an acrylic depanding on how deep they are can be removed with some car polish. Chips in a steel can be covered up with an enamel repairer, but you will still see an indentation of where the chip was.

Hope this helps.

ajm
    Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I chose an acrylic bath and after 4 years of regular use it is great. Bedded ours down on mortar and as I remember filled it about 1/3 full of water and left it for about 24 hours. It has never moved a millimeter.
    hey juan, how much space did you leave under the bath for the mortar mix? and what specifically did you use for the mix? i am having trouble finding decent info on this.