Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Advice on Bathroom Reno - incl changing from closed to open shower.

Default Advice on Bathroom Reno - incl changing from closed to open shower.

Hi all

I have a kids/guest bathroom to renovate which will include floor tiles, new vanity, changing from closed to open (walk in) shower, wall tiles. This is instigated by the fact that the shower leaks so I may as well do the whole room. I'm no designer but one of those cases where I'm trying to balance practicality with cost and making a good design to last. I have a tiler in for the job.

The bath will stay in its place. Would have liked a standalone bath but with kids and the fact the increased height would stop the shutters from opening, I decided to leave it. It is a very very light blue colour. Although great condition, I hope it isn't going to standout when everything else is new.

The vanity will be shortened considerably. Wall GPO repositioned. This will allow a walk in shower which has been elongated from its original square shape. See photo and design images.

Questions:
    1. Vanity/bath. With the vanity in close proximity to the bath on its left side, is this OK? Or it it usual to place something on this side to protect the vanity?

2. Vanity/shower. Advice sought on the right side of vanity. Is such a tiled wall look right or is a different design or dimensions advised?

3. Shower design. General advice/issues on the shower area for design, dimensions and/or appearance?

4. Vanity waste. Waste of vanity goes directly to floor. Is it best to dig up and re-route through back single brick wall, leave as is or just don't go a wall hung vanity!

5. Bulkhead. There is a bulk head on left side above where the window is located. If tiling to the ceiling, what is normal procedure here? Tile wall up to where bulkhead starts and finish there or tile front (or also underneath) bulkhead?

Cheers.

Top view.
    top.jpg
    Design.
    bathroom.jpg
    Current bathroom images.
    b1.jpg b2.jpg

3K Club Member

I suspect you may have a problem with the shower as shown in your drawing, The slab will almost certainly need to be made deeper if you want the shower tiles at the same level as the existing floor.

You could install a small water stop angle level with the new tiles but it would still be above the tiles outside the shower.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Yes I will have to deepen the slab in the main part of the shower, which is higher than the outside floor base. Good point.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
    Yes I will have to deepen the slab in the main part of the shower, which is higher than the outside floor base. Good point.
    Have you considered removing the existing tiles and grinding in some depression channels to drain the are area and install a 40 mm aluminium angle at the entry point?

This would leave about a 15mm step up into the shower after tiling the bathroom floor. you could ramp up the tiles to make it flush.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html