Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Apartment Bathroom Reno-just cosmetic but have lots of curly Qs.

Apprentice (new member)

Default Apartment Bathroom Reno-just cosmetic but have lots of curly Qs.

G'Day all and sorry for previous post-i put my user name as subject. Yes, i am an amateur. Just needing some help with apartment bathroom reno as we have had bad luck with Tradespeople so far and our strata company are bloody hopeless.
    Our job is this.... Replace everything in a bathroom that is 2 mtr x 4 mtr but keep configuration of bathroom the same and use existing pipe connections and everything. Replace tiles and waterproofing and new showerscreen. Our walls are cement over double brick and we are even keeping old powerpoint.Nothing more....
    Do i need D.A approval for this work?
    My Hungarian father-in-law will be coming from overseas to do most of the job- he is a master builder and is very experienced with all bathroom stuff.
    Do we still need to be owner-builders with his qualifications? We are also getting plumber from down the road to do all connections and plumbing and think it may be prudent to hire a waterproofer for the warranty and insurance issue.
    We got quoted $17 050 from one bathroom company for labour not including fixtures or tiles-is this normal?
    Also,is it normal to ask your Strata company for permission to do your bathroom and please provide necessary steps so we can get this done within strata guidelines and then get no reply for over a week? Should i write again or leave it a little longer?
    We just want to do everything right the first time and not p. anyone off or run into legalities.
    Thanks so much, i hope someone can shed some light.

First of all - you want to do everything right the first time .... good on you!

Your father-in-law's qualifications are not relevant here - he can't build anything structural legally without the council permits and a local licence. This is not to say his skills are not excellent or are unworthy of respect .... a crafts-person is a crafts-person no matter where they're from or where they happen to be now.

If you are only doing cosmetic work that doesn't involve structural alteration to your building you do NOT need permission from government UNLESS it impacts some kind of 'order' like heritage, place-of-special-interest etc.

that said, I am not about to recommend you proceed with any work without telling your body corporate, except to say this - I have always been more inclined to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially with people who seem to enjoy their power a little too much.

It is impossible to know if the quote is unreasonable without knowing the amount of work required, but I would struggle to find ways to spend $17,000 on labour in 8 square metres of space. Something is wrong. I have been thinking a lot about "what is reasonable" when calculating costs ... I made a fridge cabinet recently for which I charged $5200. The client happily paid it but her brother thought it was a rip-off and told me so. After explaining to him precisely where the money went, he apologised but I understand where the confusion can lie and take no offence in any way .... we think fridge cabinet and think it is a couple of bits of melamine-coated MDF with a thing along the top to join the bits .... the fridges never fit properly and we learn to live with that. In this instance I had a very specific brief that required me to design a cabinet that was not only beautiful, respectful of the Edwardian period and of course, fully-functional but would last for generations. I designed it, bought all the materials to make it, made and painted it, installed it which required considerable modification to the "new" plastering work that had been done on the walls (it was way out of plumb) ... the entire job took 3-4 weeks to do and materials cost about a thousand dollars. I doubt anyone today would grudge me making a thousand dollars per week, less running costs - heck, my plumber charges $90 per hour and gets it day in day out. Of course, if I invest around $400,000 in reasonable machines I can make things a faster but I can't design, assemble, paint and install faster even after that. It's fun!

Replace the power point - why leave a ratty old one after doing all that work?

good luck!
    Last edited by seriph1; 7th Apr 2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo's everywhere
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

I'll post some pics of the job so you see what I am carrying on about. BTW I just remember quoting on a bathroom a little larger than yours - all period fittings and restoration of a stained glass window - that was $23500 all up. Period vanity with another above it with mirrored front - new door, sink, extraction fan, skirting boards, picture rails - clawfoot bath (cast iron) - stunning tapware - new toilet and walk-in shower (no visible shower base) - retiled floors and walls and new electrics and a repaint with 14 foot ceilings.

Material is a combination of Baltic Pine, Jarrah, Birch Ply, Blackbean Veneer over MDF, Grey Ash over MDF and Dark Grey melamine over MDF - handles are imported Italian Pewter. Hinges are soft close 700mm full extension. Paint is by Porter's Paints. The client's fridge has around 15mm to spare on all sides. Fits nicely. I will be placing a vent in the floor under the fridge to assist cooling but it isn't strictly necessary as there is a large gap at the top, but better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers
    Last edited by seriph1; 7th Apr 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typos
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Default pics as mentioned

Each side can hold 90 kilos and will store up to 4.2 metres of items. If you pull the front off, you can remove the shelving to clean them if desired. Each shelf section can be lifted with one finger yet are strong enough to take my entire weight (which is more than a kilo )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails handle1lr.jpg   fridgecab-hoodlr.jpg   handle2lr.jpg   fridge-cabinet-open2lr.jpg  
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

3K Club Member

I would be asking for a progress report from the body corporate re you application, no doubt this will result in list of questions about what,who and how, but that seems to be how they operate.

When looking for quotes make sure the person quoting knows what you will be doing and supplying, always get a minimum of 3 quotes and when comparing them check the, type of materials they will use, a chaep quote often means cheap materials that may not last or even be legal.

Also check that each trade will provide you with a written warranty that clearly states the conditions and period of your warranty.

Waterproofing will be critical, particularly if your bathroom is not on the ground floor. Getting a pro in is a very good way to go. Any problems down the track will be covered and could save you thousands. You can get an obligation free quote by calling 1800 025 081, they will also provide free advice that may save you a lot of money.

Tip:
    If you want the whole job to proceed quickly, purcase all items you are going to need and have them delivered and inspected 'before' you start, this ensures no hold ups waiting for items. The recent floods have a strain on the supply of many even basic building materials and particularly bathroom items.

Keep us all informed of your progress, it will help others.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for all your advice guys, i am not doing a period or heritage building and am doing just a basic cosmetic refit. Our Executive Committee gave us the go-ahead fo the work YIPPEE!! so we will get onto it in May or June. We will use my father in law for tiling and demolish of existing bathroom. I will ring the number of waterproofer 'Olsaltoz' and get onto it. Muchas Gracias! I'l keep you posted.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi all again, just wondering if all 3 peice tapwear is compatible with Gravity fed water heaters? We have the old rubber washer 3 peice taps at the mo. which work fine and somone just bunged on a bunnings mixer for the kitchen tap so as a result no hot water comes out of that mixer and we don't want that happenning again. I heard from a bathroom shop that Greens Tapwear Australia has just closed down.(They do a special low pressure range) I will also post this on the plumbers area of forum. Cheers!