Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Bath tub - removable panel in the front - replace overflow kit?

Default Bath tub - removable panel in the front - replace overflow kit?

img20191116135921.jpgHi
    Im concerned that the flimsy bath overflow kit ($150 cheap plastic) has been designed to fail, and will most likely need replacing or servicing within a year or two

Questions:
    1. Can I make the whole front panel of the bath removable? How do you waterproof a removable panel?
    2. Can I just replace the overflow kit with a standard bath hole with an old-fashioned plug?? Can I seal up the overflow hole?

I'm just not a fan of this large twisting overflow knob, I wish I'd known before ordering it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails overflow-kit.jpg   b600_901_f.tif.jpg  

4K Club Member

1 Yes with great difficulty.
    2 Probably Ditto

You may be worrying for nothing, however,

is it possible to create an access panel in the next room at the end of the bath ??

1K Club Member

I wish we had done this. Our bath waste is corroded, only 8 years old, and there's no access in any direction to change it.
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

But an extra pack or 3 of tiles and cut and replace them IF you need access.

What makes you think it's going to fail?
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

HI thanks for the replies. Perhaps Im worrying for nothing, but the overflow kit is plastic and does not feel strong - Im concerned that we just need to step on the raised plug when showering, or turn the overflow dial too hard, and the whole thing breaks. Also I've heard these flimsy pneumatic spaghetti tubes lose their potency after a while and the bath plug seal starts leaking. Just too much hassle! Nothing as reassuring as a good basic bath plug!!cyclic, good idea, but the walls are old brick and Im hesitant to cut into themCecile - sounds like a good excuse for a remodel! But I agree with you, I expect my bathroom to last for at least a decade, I'm using a classic designhaveabeer - good idea to buy extra tiles, I'm already thinking ahead to when I have to remove the bath due to overflow kit failure, and replacing with a walk-in shower!!This is where we are up to (please see attachment) - is it too late/complicated to change to a standard plug, and seal up the overflow dial with silicone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img20191118075556.jpg  

1K Club Member

Photo showing one end of a removable panel on a bath tub which has been in position for over 30 years.

20191120_174126.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
    Photo showing one end of a removable panel on a bath tub which has been in position for over 30 years.

beautiful... thanks for the example ). It looks like there's an actual lock there. Did you do this yourself?

Im a firm believer in access and demystifying things. It's been driving me nuts that a bath has so many concealed elements. I wouldn't mind trying to emulate what you've got set up there, if you don't mind sharing. Thank you

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by debunk View Post
    beautiful... thanks for the example ). It looks like there's an actual lock there. Did you do this yourself?

Im a firm believer in access and demystifying things. It's been driving me nuts that a bath has so many concealed elements. I wouldn't mind trying to emulate what you've got set up there, if you don't mind sharing. Thank you
    It is not a lock.

The panel is held on by 8 wood screws with (Philips) heads that take plastic insert covers, one of which I removed and placed on the floor for the photo.
    The countersunk head of each screw was recessed into the tiles.

There is a white plastic strip on all four sides/ends, which you can see in the picture, to give a "snug" fit. (I think that I used plastic weather strip. - NOT foam strip - and it has not deteriorated.)
    The bath is actually a spa-bath and I wanted to be sure that I could access the piping if I needed to but it has never been necessary.

(Yes, I did do it myself when I remodeled the bathroom - over 30 years ago.)