Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

bathroom exhaust ducted - will it leak?

Novice

Default bathroom exhaust ducted - will it leak?

I need an exhaust fan for the new bathroom which is half an ex-lounge room, with pressed metal ceilings (painted) and pretty solid masonry walls. I can't vent through the wall and there are no eaves.

My big quandary is, do I just vent the moist air into the roof space and hope for the best? The roof is colorbond and has sarking... but it is a very tall roof so there's lots of space in there.

Or do I get the sparky to vent a big F-off powerful fan (obviously a good thing) out the roof using a Dektite (rubber collar thingy, I think that's what they're called). Only I hate the idea of making a hole in the roof - is it a matter of not IF it leaks but WHEN?

Has anyone used this "venting out solution kit"?... with or without the DraftStoppa exhaust fan?

Corrugated Venting Out Kits - Roof ventilation products to help cool your home and reduce condensation

any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by birdy View Post
    I need an exhaust fan for the new bathroom which is half an ex-lounge room, with pressed metal ceilings (painted) and pretty solid masonry walls. I can't vent through the wall and there are no eaves.

My big quandary is, do I just vent the moist air into the roof space and hope for the best? The roof is colorbond and has sarking... but it is a very tall roof so there's lots of space in there.

Or do I get the sparky to vent a big F-off powerful fan (obviously a good thing) out the roof using a Dektite (rubber collar thingy, I think that's what they're called). Only I hate the idea of making a hole in the roof - is it a matter of not IF it leaks but WHEN?

Has anyone used this "venting out solution kit"?... with or without the DraftStoppa exhaust fan?

Corrugated Venting Out Kits - Roof ventilation products to help cool your home and reduce condensation

any opinions?
    With colourbond and sarking don't vent into the roof space you will simply get grief from condensation. The higher you can make the hole to the ridge the less water available to pour into the inevitable leak.

Novice

ah, grief from condensation, that's what I suspected. That sarking decision I made 10 years ago is looking like a mistake...

2K Club Member

Can you go through the ceiling then over the top of the outside wall and into the eaves with a vent in the eaves lining?

I have done it with range hoods but only with 100mm duct. You have to take a sheet of iron of to get at it.

Sorry just noticed you said no eaves.

Why can't you go through the wall?

Novice

Thumbs up

I can't go through the wall 'cos there's too much stuff in the way... also it's the next door neighbour's side passage on the other side (built to the boundary in inner-ish Sydney) so that might be a bit rude.

I've decided to go with ducting out through a roof vent thingy which tucks up under the ridge capping ("Corrugated Smoothline Ventilator") so we'll see how that goes...