Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Bathroom wall and ceiling lining

Novice

Default Bathroom wall and ceiling lining

Plan to renovate the bathroom, current wondering about whether I should use villaboard or blue board or aquacheck plasterboard or ceramic tile under lay. As I need to tile some of the wall area, such as shower and hand basin, the rest area with be painted, I prefer to use single material to avoid different thickness.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renomaster View Post
    Plan to renovate the bathroom, current wondering about whether I should use villaboard or blue board or aquacheck plasterboard or ceramic tile under lay. As I need to tile some of the wall area, such as shower and hand basin, the rest area with be painted, I prefer to use single material to avoid different thickness.
    Villaboard has many advantages and would be my only choice in wet room.

Cieling can be whaterver you like, no special requirements in the standards.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

2K Club Member

What he said Ceramic tile underlay is only for floors. If you have timber floors.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    Villaboard has many advantages and would be my only choice in wet room.

Cieling can be whaterver you like, no special requirements in the standards.

Good luck.
    Thanks for your reply. Just curious why can't use blue board, some people even use it for external job, so I assume it's weather proofed.

3K Club Member

Expensive and very heavy.

Good luck.

As I need to tile some of the wall area, such as shower and hand basin, the rest area with be painted, I prefer to use single material to avoid different thickness.
    9mm villaboard is useful to match 10mm plasterboard, I would be using villaboard for walls entirely though.

3K Club Member

This is a 'wet room' and as such the Standards state that all sheeting must have water resistance rating (WR).

You can use any old sheeting, but if it is not WR rated it must be fully tankled/waterproofed, the end result here is that it will cost you more not less.

Common practice is to Villaboar on all walls, it has a noce smooth finish so paints well.

Bt the way, you are waterproofing the wall to floor joint all th way around the room and installing a water stop angle in the dooeway aren't you.

Good luck.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    This is a 'wet room' and as such the Standards state that all sheeting must have water resistance rating (WR).

You can use any old sheeting, but if it is not WR rated it must be fully tankled/waterproofed, the end result here is that it will cost you more not less.

Common practice is to Villaboar on all walls, it has a noce smooth finish so paints well.

Bt the way, you are waterproofing the wall to floor joint all th way around the room and installing a water stop angle in the dooeway aren't you.

Good luck.
    thanks for remind me. Yes It's part of my plan, just don't know how good I can achieve. I guess the most difficult part for me is to lay the floor tile in certain slope (but not too obvious), but at least can redirect any excess water to the floor trap, not the other way around.

Novice

Thanks for everyone, base on above comment, I will use villaboard for the whole bathroom.
    just wondering about, except the area for tile (shower and hand basin) and water proof the joint (wall and floor), do I need water proof the the rest area before paint? I guess it's unnecessary, since the paint is already water proofed.

3K Club Member

Thanks for everyone, base on above comment, I will use villaboard for the whole bathroom.

just wondering about, except the area for tile (shower and hand basin) and water proof the joint (wall and floor), do I need water proof the the rest area before paint? I guess it's unnecessary, since the paint is already water proofed.
    If you use Villaboard on all walls you only need to seal the shower area / horizontal and vertical joints plus tap penetrations.

The rest of the room needs a flashing between floor and wall, so you stick your tiles direct to the board anywhere in the room, no prep needed. just put a bit of sealant over the nail heads before you tile that area.

Areas that will be painted need a bit of filler over the nail heads and sand to a smooth finish (not sealant).

Don't forget the water stop angle in the doorway or you risk water getting out of the wet area.

Good luck.