Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

bond breaker rod

Default bond breaker rod

HI,

This might be a silly question... Can I use any foam rod to be the bond breaker rod in the shower and bathtub? or is it a specific type?

THanks

Depends. The foam should be compatible with whatever waterproofing system is going over it. Some of the waterproofing coatings smell an awful lot like polyester resin, which can dissolve some plastics (expanded polystyrene would melt before your eyes).
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Default bond breaker rod

I was under the impression that these days Bostik or Sikaflex sealant is commonly used as the bondbreaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUO View Post
    HI,

This might be a silly question... Can I use any foam rod to be the bond breaker rod in the shower and bathtub? or is it a specific type?
    Thanks
    Commonly refered to as 'Backing Rod' very cheap and reliable.
    Make sure the prevents any of the waterproofing getting behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilium007 View Post
    I was under the impression that these days Bostik or Sikaflex sealant is commonly used as the bondbreaker.

The above is more commonly used on wall sheet joints prior to waterproofing.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Our guys use Sikaflex, foam rod is to fiddly to work with, silicon will get tight into the corners junctions.

Alternative is to use a tape with inbuilt bond breaker.

Gripset have released a non trade version of their product (non trade just means it is a blue colour not grey and in a retail packet available from bunnings)

The have internal and external premade corners with built in bondbreaker, and jointing bandage with bondbreaker, the internal corners are very good for the DIY as you cannot muck up the most important join in the shower recess.

http://www.gripset.com/images/file_g...orners_pds.pdf

http://www.gripset.com/images/file_g...g_band_pds.pdf

3K Club Member

Originally Posted by UNIQUO
    HI,

Thanks

Commonly refered to as 'Backing Rod' very cheap and reliable.
    Make sure the tape prevents any of the waterproofing getting behind it.

Originally Posted by ilium007

The above is more commonly used on wall sheet joints prior to waterproofing.
    The 'Bond Breaker is installed at the wall to floor interface and provides for a bit more movement that sealant alone.

Good luck

Read more: http://www.renovateforum.com/f205/bo...#ixzz2PGYr7yrS

are bonding tape and backer rods required for renovating a bathroom in a upper level of an apartment block? and when going around corners should I bend the rod around the corner or cut it so instead of one long rod you have 2 short rods. (might seem like common sense but it is the first time I do a renovation.

Thanks

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUO View Post
    are bonding tape and backer rods required for renovating a bathroom in a upper level of an apartment block? and when going around corners should I bend the rod around the corner or cut it so instead of one long rod you have 2 short rods. (might seem like common sense but it is the first time I do a renovation. Thanks
    Bond breakers are only required inside the shower, being a multilevel building you need to seal the full floor and install puddle flanges in wate pipes, (shower and floor wastes). Bond breakers inside showers are cut to length for each wall and butt jointed at corners. Note; take care when placing the tape over the backing, the object of the tape is to prevent any material getting into the bond breaker area. Start by running a bead of sealant around the floor wall joint, then cut and stick the backing rod to the corner with butt joints, let this cure hen tape over. Good luck.

Qual Tiler

Bondbreakers are required when 2 planes meet.Not just the shower recess/ ie wall and floor flashing and the joins of sheeting and panels.

There are many different types of bondbreakers depending on the class of waterproofing.
    Always use the type of bondbreakers recomended by the waterproofing product you are using.
    Failure to do so may cause the waterproofing to fail and the warranty by the manufacture to be void.

Make sure your waterproofing is compatible with the adhesive your using (use the same brand)

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    Bond breakers are only required inside the shower, being a multilevel building you need to seal the full floor and install puddle flanges in wate pipes, (shower and floor wastes). Bond breakers inside showers are cut to length for each wall and butt jointed at corners. Note; take care when placing the tape over the backing, the object of the tape is to prevent any material getting into the bond breaker area. Start by running a bead of sealant around the floor wall joint, then cut and stick the backing rod to the corner with butt joints, let this cure hen tape over. Good luck.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by heavytrevy View Post
    Bondbreakers are required when 2 planes meet.Not just the shower recess/ ie wall and floor flashing and the joins of sheeting and panels.

There are many different types of bondbreakers depending on the class of waterproofing.
    Always use the type of bondbreakers recomended by the waterproofing product you are using.
    Failure to do so may cause the waterproofing to fail and the warranty by the manufacture to be void.

Make sure your waterproofing is compatible with the adhesive your using (use the same brand)

regards
    Can yuo explain "class of waterproofing"

Also a backing rod type bond breaker would be a bit of a chellenge if applied to a floor wall interface outside the shower?

Qual Tiler

Google Class 1 waterproofing membrane , then 2 and 3, all will be revealed

Backing rod is primarly used with class 1 membranes.
    Use the bondbreaker the manufacture advises

Would you use a type of bondbreaker that wetseal hasn't recomended or tested with ? I doubt it .

Also a backing rod type bond breaker would be a bit of a chellenge if applied to a floor wall interface outside the shower?

4K Club Member

Just as hard inside the shower too, with the membrane over the screed. Every job would have a compulsory cove tile to cover the bondbreaker joint with backing rod.
    regards inter