Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Brick Veneer wall insulation

Novice

Default Brick Veneer wall insulation

Hi all

I'm completing a bathroom renovation, and the one external brick veneer wall has no insulation whatsoever (no batts, no foil on the stud frame). I'd like to insulate this wall (and may also throw some sound batts in the internal walls as there are bedrooms/hallway on other sides of the bathroom).

Question: Do I need to somehow retrofit some foil or other barrier behind the external wall studs before putting batts in that wall? I understand foil would also act as a moisture barrier as well as help stop the batts falling into the gap between bricks and studs. How critical is a moisture barrier, as using foil might be a bit tricky to do from inside the room, so maybe just some chicken wire to keep batts in place would do? Another idea I had would be to put foil under the Villaboard internal lining and not use batts - would this be as effective as an insulation medium as batts?

Any/all suggestions appreciated.

Regards
    AlanMo

I would place some foil sarking with cleats between the studs and use ordinary glasswool. The acoustic batts will do very little more for any noticeable sound absorption. Sound insulation requires much more than just batts.

2K Club Member

Well, foil won't be a moisture barrier when installed from the inside, so while phils suggestion is laudable in effort, it won't drain the cavity if water gets in there. I'd put soundscreen in there, not because it does any better job acoustically (as phil correctly points out) but because it's far stiffer, and thus it's easier to sit between the studs without ever falling back onto the brick work (this would be a bad thing)

a bit of strapping could do the same thing of course

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    Well, foil won't be a moisture barrier when installed from the inside, so while phils suggestion is laudable in effort, it won't drain the cavity if water gets in there.
    I doubt moisture would be much of an issue but depends I guess if condensation occurs in a bad way. The sarking should not be in contact with the brick and can skirt over the bottom plate should moisture be a problem.

Golden Member

You can use string or something like strapping along the back of the studs to hold the batts away from the bricks. You just have o check the clearance between studs and bricks, and the depth of the studs and choose suitable batts.
    The Glasswool wall batts bunnings label earthwool state on the bag they provide Thermal and Accoustic insulation. I've used the R2.5 for this same job and was happy. The wall batts are stiffer and I think also denser than the ceiling batts which I guess is what blocks sound....

2K Club Member

You can either use string as suggested in the insulation instructions for batts or a wrap to keep the batts off the brickwork ( very important). I actually used string, foil and batts to ensure that the foil didn't hit the bricks either, but it is a bit fiddly.

if you use wrap you must use a breathable one. The better option in a bathroom is to use one of the really highly vapor permeable membranes. That's what I'll be using in my bathroom. These are much more breathable than the 'breathable' foil and ensure that you don't end up with damp insulation, mildew and rotting studs

Soundscreen really helps with the sound insulation and also gives great R value for thickness.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMo View Post
    Hi all

I'm completing a bathroom renovation, and the one external brick veneer wall has no insulation whatsoever (no batts, no foil on the stud frame). I'd like to insulate this wall (and may also throw some sound batts in the internal walls as there are bedrooms/hallway on other sides of the bathroom).

Question: Do I need to somehow retrofit some foil or other barrier behind the external wall studs before putting batts in that wall? I understand foil would also act as a moisture barrier as well as help stop the batts falling into the gap between bricks and studs. How critical is a moisture barrier, as using foil might be a bit tricky to do from inside the room, so maybe just some chicken wire to keep batts in place would do? Another idea I had would be to put foil under the Villaboard internal lining and not use batts - would this be as effective as an insulation medium as batts?

Any/all suggestions appreciated.

Regards
    AlanMo
    Just staple some sarking towards the back edge of the stud & noggin faces, from memory I don't think perforated sarking is required on BV, not that it matters because there will be gaps everywhere between the staple points so it's never going to be sealed, then use the insulation of your choice held with fishing line stapled to the studs & sheet away.
    inter