Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Code/Standard that specifies wall tiles overlap floor tiles?

Novice

Default Code/Standard that specifies wall tiles overlap floor tiles?

Hi guys,

A friend is in the midst of a renovation disaster. He employed a builder to redo his bathroom, but it has been one stuff up after the next. He has tried hassling the builder to complete the job, and its at the point of legal advice. Shame.

Anyways, I know its 'good practice' to have the wall tiles overlapping the floor tiles in a bathroom, especially the shower. What I dont know, is if this is part of a code or standard. If it is, can someone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks,
    Mrpotatohead

2K Club Member

More than "good practice"..its the only way to do it.. unsure whether the building code of australia has a code for tiles but if this builder can't get a simple bathroom right he needs to cut his card up...hope your mate works it out.. legal action probably isn't the best option as it may cost your mate money.. get onto the relevant building authority in nsw...

4K Club Member

From memory it is detailed in the tiling standard & also in the water proofing standard.
    regards inter

Novice

Thanks for the replies. I checked the tiling standard, but couldnt find anything. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Ill check the waterproofing standard.

Qual Tiler

It can be either but is good practice in wet area's to have walls tiles overlapping floor tiles

Novice

Thanks for the help guys. My mate called the building board, and according to them there isnt anything in the code.

He has spoken to fair trading and they asked him to write a report, which he has. The main issues were the floor tiles next to the wall tiles and the screed sloping towards the door (yes that's right - into the hallway). Lastly, because it went through council, it had to be inspected. The waterproofer was told this just before they arranged the inspection. His response was "I better do it properly then (summarised)". I swear if you dont know what to look for, some builders will pull the wool right over your eyes.

Thanks again.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrPotatohead View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. My mate called the building board, and according to them there isnt anything in the code.

He has spoken to fair trading and they asked him to write a report, which he has. The main issues were the floor tiles next to the wall tiles and the screed sloping towards the door (yes that's right - into the hallway). Lastly, because it went through council, it had to be inspected. The waterproofer was told this just before they arranged the inspection. His response was "I better do it properly then (summarised)". I swear if you dont know what to look for, some builders will pull the wool right over your eyes.

Thanks again.
    it is absolutely shown in the standard drawing details that wall tiles overlap the floor tiles.
    regards inter

DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)