Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Double Open Shower Fall With "Tile Over Shower Base" on Timber Floor

GTR
    Apprentice (new member)

Question Double Open Shower Fall With "Tile Over Shower Base" on Timber Floor

Hi all,

I'm putting a double open shower in a house that has the floor ripped up.

Hardwood joists.

I thought, this should be easy, I'll just grab two tile over shower bases (purchased Tile Over Shower Trays - Bellessi) and stick one up each end, but then thought I might have an issue with splash/overflow water in between the shower bases?

See the red bit below.

There will be a floor to ceiling shower screen that will only have a gap enough to walk through, but I'm concerned the water on the red bit will just leak out of it.

Am I better off forgetting the tile over shower bases for this application?

I notice in the video on the tile over shower base site (Tile Over Shower Trays - Bellessi) they have used it for an open shower but I'm ot sure.

Cheers for any help!

Jay

Apprentice (new member)

Hacking together two shower bases like that is probably more effort and much less reliable than just getting a custom one that does it right, fully sealed with the correct fall across the whole shower pan area.
    The red area will need fall towards the grate/s (and away from the door) so you'd need to account for that in your modifications. How good are the joins going to be long term?

Google custom shower pan bases and you'll find there's heaps
    Depending on your dimensions you might even find one off the shelf that'll slot in. (Check if they require added noggins for additional support.)

It might be better to have the drain in the centre away from both the showering areas. Also away from the entrance towards the rear so pooled water isn't near the door.
    https://universalshowerbase.com.au/product-specs/ (example of layouts - even have a custom configurator to upload your own shape)

** Given that you've ripped out your flooring, it's a good opportunity to put down Scyon /similar onto your joists for your wet areas.

Agree, I wouldn't ever put timber floor in a wet area, I have seen the consequences too many times when something goes wrong.
    Scyon or durafloor are the standard goto products nowadays.

Also agree, if you are trying to hobble together two separate units that are not designed for this, it's asking for trouble.
    Do it right the first time, then you won't have to redo it later.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

GTR
    Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by carazy View Post
    Hacking together two shower bases like that is probably more effort and much less reliable than just getting a custom one that does it right, fully sealed with the correct fall across the whole shower pan area.
    The red area will need fall towards the grate/s (and away from the door) so you'd need to account for that in your modifications. How good are the joins going to be long term?

Google custom shower pan bases and you'll find there's heaps
    Depending on your dimensions you might even find one off the shelf that'll slot in. (Check if they require added noggins for additional support.)

It might be better to have the drain in the centre away from both the showering areas. Also away from the entrance towards the rear so pooled water isn't near the door.
    https://universalshowerbase.com.au/product-specs/ (example of layouts - even have a custom configurator to upload your own shape)

** Given that you've ripped out your flooring, it's a good opportunity to put down Scyon /similar onto your joists for your wet areas.
    Thanks so much for the response.

Yeah sorry, I actually meant timber floor as in that's what the floor was and it's a joist floor with flooring on top.

I am putting Scyon down in the bathroom and toilet.
    The shower base is designed to put down, and then butt the Scyon against it.

If there's going to be splash in the middle and it cause an issue, then I'll take a look at the custom bases.

If that is too expensive, would 900 x 1200 bases x 2 work?

Or does there need to be slope/fall the whole way through?

Just form the falls in the framework and Scyon the entire area.