Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Draft Stoppa and Draft prevent

Default Draft Stoppa and Draft prevent

Hi everyone, I'm looking at these two products and wondering if anyone has any feedback or better suggestions. Both of them are available at the green shed and easy to install. Thanks!

DraftStoppa - $35
    Draft Prevent - $23

My brother had the Draft Stoppa, and he hated the flap flap flap of it opening and closing. Even happens when someone enters a room and shuts the door.

They’re in the bin now. He is a grumpy night shift worker though...
    I had a life, but my job ate it...

Golden Member

We have had two of the Draftstoppas for maybe four years.

Yes, we can hear them go bump if you close the door fast enough, but this does not really bother us.

One of them got stuck on one occasion. I could tell because, well, I could not hear it bumping when closing the door. I had to go up and take a look, but could not see anything in particular to cause it to stick (they are quite finely balanced). So, I cleaned it and it has been OK since.

I have not seen the other product.

Apprentice (new member)

Wonderful products...they can advance mould and mildew and black spot no end, given that wet areas need at least trickle flow ventilation at all times...... but pay no mind......they're just minor points that can be overlooked in the quest for sealing up a bathroom

Quote Originally Posted by stucutz View Post
    Wonderful products...they can advance mould and mildew and black spot no end, given that wet areas need at least trickle flow ventilation at all times...... but pay no mind......they're just minor points that can be overlooked in the quest for sealing up a bathroom
    Thanks for this. I never realized that without this, the bathroom currently can breathe as there a holes in the ceiling (or I could be wrong). I'm thinking of putting some and placing the window ajar to let some fresh air in or would that just make it worse and defy the idea of putting a draft stopper in the first place?

How do you guys manage the dampness in your bathrooms?

Golden Member

In a bathroom? What's the reason you want to install these things?
    in summer it might be nice to keep heat out but in winter the best thing for a bathroom
    is airflow, as much airflow as you can get.

2K Club Member

Managing dampness in bathrooms? Isn't that what a fan (ideally with draft stopper) is for?

Quote Originally Posted by mudbrick View Post
    In a bathroom? What's the reason you want to install these things?
    in summer it might be nice to keep heat out but in winter the best thing for a bathroom
    is airflow, as much airflow as you can get.
    My assumption is it will stop unnecessary heat getting in during summer and unnecessary coldness during winter.

====

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Managing dampness in bathrooms? Isn't that what a fan (ideally with draft stopper) is for?
    That was my idea before until someone mentioned that with a drafting stopper, you are technically sealing the room and doing moisture to get out. This my question of how the others might be dealing with it as I might be overlooking something.

====

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarod View Post
    That was my idea before until someone mentioned that with a drafting stopper, you are technically sealing the room and doing moisture to get out. This my question of how the others might be dealing with it as I might be overlooking something.

====
    I assume the draft stopper is going to be fitted to a fan, so that is how the moisture will get out. You can have a run on timer. You'll need to make sure some air gets in so the fan works properly. That can be a gap under the door, a grill in the door or a window open a crack. A completely sealed room will prevent the fan working correctly.

I'm not sure the person who made the assertion that losing heat through an unprotected ceiling fan will prevent condensation, has any evidence to support the claim!