Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Flush transition between bathroom and shower

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Novice
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default Flush transition between bathroom and shower

    Hi,

    I am looking to do a small bathroom reno and have a flush transition between tiled area and shower (so it is flush level).

    How should I be installing the waterstop angle, waterproofing, screed, tiles etc to ensure this flush level? I will also be having just one piece of glass as the shower 'screen' attached to tiled wall.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    1K Club Member Gooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Small bathroom reno, or reno to a small bathroom?

    I am doing a reno to a small bathroom right now. I will have an open shower and therefore "flush tiling" (so to speak) throughout.

    With the size of the bathroom, I am not putting any waterstops in except at the door. Waterproof on top of the screed and fall it all into a linear grate. The biggest consideration in all of this is getting the fall right and you may be limited depending on where the shower is and the total fall to the grate. I have tried to place my linear grate as close to the door as possible so that I don't end up with a 50mm step into the bathroom!

    So it depends on your layout. Alternative is to put a waterstop around the shower and depending on layout, possibly have a seperate drain in the bathroom area.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...
    __________________

  3. #3
    Novice
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Are you saying with a walk in shower that no waterstop is required between shower base and tiles?

    I'm just a bit confused as to how to achieve the flush transition between the shower and the bathroom. Do you:

    1. Recess the slab 40-50mm in the shower base so when it's built up with screed, it ends up at the same level as rest of bathroom OR
    2. If the slab is level does the entire bathroom have to have screed to ensure same level?

    this is what confuses me.

  4. #4
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDem View Post
    Are you saying with a walk in shower that no waterstop is required between shower base and tiles?

    I'm just a bit confused as to how to achieve the flush transition between the shower and the bathroom. Do you:

    1. Recess the slab 40-50mm in the shower base so when it's built up with screed, it ends up at the same level as rest of bathroom OR
    2. If the slab is level does the entire bathroom have to have screed to ensure same level?

    this is what confuses me.
    Either option will work, the end game is to have the floor sloping in the shower. For most average size showers the recess is only about 20mm.
    Waterstop is required to stop water under the tile escaping from the wet area, sometimes this is simply set at the door to the bathroom.

  5. #5
    Novice
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Either option will work, the end game is to have the floor sloping in the shower. For most average size showers the recess is only about 20mm.
    Waterstop is required to stop water under the tile escaping from the wet area, sometimes this is simply set at the door to the bathroom.
    I came across a flush transition whereby the frameless shower screen was essentially attached to the tiles with clear caulk. Couldn't see a waterstop anywhere - may have been under one of the glass screens closest to fall...

  6. #6
    1K Club Member Gooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Give an idea of the type of floor and layout and this may help with advice.

    As Droog has said, the purpose of a water stop is to ensure water stays in the wet area. The wet area is whatever you define it to be as along as (1) water has a way to drain from under the tiles and (2) water is stopped at least at the doorway and (3) you have drains with proper falls to them.

    There is no strict requirement for a water stop around the shower. It’s more about managing how water is controlled to eventually drain away somewhere.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...
    __________________

  7. #7
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDem View Post
    I came across a flush transition whereby the frameless shower screen was essentially attached to the tiles with clear caulk. Couldn't see a waterstop anywhere - may have been under one of the glass screens closest to fall...
    Frameless screens are installed on silicon blocks, then the gap is filled with clear silicon. Attachment of the screen is unrelated to waterstop angles.
    A waterstop angle is required to stop the progression of water under the tile into areas where you do not want it, with doorless showers this is a grey area as where is the outer area that water will fall? Another factor is that any area segmented and enclosed with a waterstop angle needs a drain as otherwise it is simply a tank to hold water.

Similar Threads

  1. How to fix a Cavity Sliding Door Flush Jamb - that isnt flush when open
    By DaleBlack in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th Dec 2019, 04:30 PM
  2. Remove flush mount rainfall shower Head?
    By dan76n in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st Dec 2017, 03:27 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th Oct 2014, 09:13 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 1st Oct 2014, 10:43 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19th Dec 2011, 07:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •