Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Frameless shower screen install

Novice

Default Frameless shower screen install

Hi all,

I managed to pick up 2 frameless shower screens cheap from an auction, and am wondering if someone could give me a guide for installation. I have watched a few videos that show how they attach to the wall and are sealed with silicone etc, but few detail the construction of the floor - in particular the aluminium angle seperating the shower and bathroom.

I read in the Aus Stndrd that the alumium angle must protrude a min of 5mm above the finished tile level. If this is the case, where to I install the floor brackets for the shower screen? Do I but them up against the track on the shower side? Do I leave the angle protruding in the doorway? (I spose that helps prevent leaks).

As it is prefab, im doing everything I can to get the corner square and vertical prior to sheeting.

Appreciate the help,
    Pete

Ours is just clamped to the wall with two clamps and then rests on a small adhesive pad (temporary) on the floor. Then the whole lot was siliconed both sides. We were supposed to pull the pad out and then patch the silicon but never bothered...it is pretty solid and is 1.8 x 1m.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

3K Club Member

The water stop angles prevent water travelling outside the shower base so must be outside the screen or under it with none exposed inside the shower.

The minimum of 5mm above the tiles can be ignored under the the screen, many tilers start the fall to the waste just outside the entry point so all water runs back into the shower, this means the water stop is also located just outside the entry.

Don't forget you need water stops in the bathroom doorway and across any storage cupboards.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Novice

Thanks for the reply guys.

Oldsaltoz - I just found that exact information in the Aus std - I was skipping the bit entitled 'unenclosed showers', because I didnt think I had one. They really should put in big letters in the 'enclosed showers' section that a frameless shower screen is an unenclosed shower.

Cheers

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrPotatohead View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Oldsaltoz - I just found that exact information in the Aus std - I was skipping the bit entitled 'unenclosed showers', because I didnt think I had one. They really should put in big letters in the 'enclosed showers' section that a frameless shower screen is an unenclosed shower.

Cheers
    Any shower that has no door is classified as unenclosed, this means the waterproofing gets extended 1.5 metres from the shower outlet and hopefully to another floor waste in the room.

Good luck.

Novice

My shower has a door, it is just frameless, and as everyone knows, still leaks a bit here and there. I read the standard to include these as unenclosed, but follow similar waterproofing guidelines to enclosed (ie only floor, walls and stops - not 1500mm from the rose). Is that correct?

Cheers.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrPotatohead View Post
    My shower has a door, it is just frameless, and as everyone knows, still leaks a bit here and there. I read the standard to include these as unenclosed, but follow similar waterproofing guidelines to enclosed (ie only floor, walls and stops - not 1500mm from the rose). Is that correct?

Cheers.
    If you have a slab of concrete as a base then you only need to waterproof the wall to floor joint outside the shower, as you have a door there is no requirement to waterproof the 1.5m from the shower outlet.

Good luck.

Novice

Fantastic. Thanks for the help!

Cheers.

We installed this door-less shower screen directly above the waterproofing angle, on a bead of silicone.
    We decided to fully waterproof the entire floor outside the shower, on hindsight we didnt need to...the occasional splash or spray of water is mopped up with a towel.
    we also decided not to install the raised aluminium angle in the doorway, thinking we would install it later if needed....it was never needed.

cheers

showerscreen.jpg