Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Gluing a large mirror

Default Gluing a large mirror

Hi all

The wife decided a 1.7 X 1.7m 6mm mirror would look nice in one of the ensuites.

It's vinyl backed and probably weighs 40kg.

Can I use Selleys mirror adhesive and simply glue it to the gyprock? I'll screw the gyprock to the studs and use temporary supports while the glue cures but will this hold long term?

Thanks
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by tombsc View Post
    Hi all

The wife decided a 1.7 X 1.7m 6mm mirror would look nice in one of the ensuites.

It's vinyl backed and probably weighs 40kg.

Can I use Selleys mirror adhesive and simply glue it to the gyprock? I'll screw the gyprock to the studs and use temporary supports while the glue cures but will this hold long term?

Thanks
    Tom

normally you would use double sided tape around the perimeter & a few lines of it across the main body of the glass, then use any old silicon for glass everywhere else between, the tape will hold it until the silicon goes off & permanently holds it in place, you will only get one go at getting it into position so a temporary prop with a dry run is recommended.
    inter

2K Club Member

There are little chrome holders that are spring loaded - in an ensuite there's a good chance you'll want to replace the mirror in 7 or 8 years. At that point you'll really appreciate been able to remove it without harming the gyprock.

i used silicon on a mirror splashback that I've just removed about 10years ago. It was just supported on the base, but I can tell you, after taking an hour to gently prise it off, silicon blobs at 300 centres certainly held its weight easily (and I'm really glad it wasn't 100 centres

Thanks for the help. I might have a go at mounting this on the weekend, if I can get it in the house!

2K Club Member

most shower screen installers just use silicone if they have to hang a mirror.. just be sure its neutral cure..

Yes, just silicone ... I thought that too. What could go wrong right? Got a mirror, smeared lots of silicon on the back, made sure it was neutral cure ( very important ) squished it on the tiles, and voila, job done. left the room to check on my stew and not long after a mighty crash told me the silicone alone does not hold, not even neutral cure. May be i should have used active cure?
    Ha ha only kidding, use double sided tape every time or .... kaboom

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yes, just silicone ... I thought that too. What could go wrong right? Got a mirror, smeared lots of silicon on the back, made sure it was neutral cure ( very important ) squished it on the tiles, and voila, job done. left the room to check on my stew and not long after a mighty crash told me the silicone alone does not hold, not even neutral cure. May be i should have used active cure?
    Ha ha only kidding, use double sided tape every time or .... kaboom
    How far through the seven years are you?

Ha ha, I am not superstitious but my wife is. It does not work if she did not brake it ... apparently, and clearly does not work on me ha ha

Superstitions can be a complex area.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...3242444&rt=rud

We use this at work, along with silicone applied in a ^ pattern (as in upside down V's) so any moisture that gets behind can run off.
    I had a life, but my job ate it...

Apprentice (new member)

I would use what godzilla has recommended just because it seems like a good recommendation and you dont exactly want to fight godzilla. Pretty sure most would lose...

Apprentice (new member)

Hello People,

You can help the mirror stay put while the silicon dries with some suction.

Apply a thick bead of silicon in circles of about 150mm diameter in many places on the mirror/splashback making sure the silicon bean is complete, i.e. without gaps. Press the mirror/splashback into place without letting it move around or slide and in turn press firmly where each "silicon circle" is located. You should hear the air trapped inside each circle between the mirror/splashback and the wall "pop". This sound is the air being pushed through the silicon bead. The bead should reseal creating a little suction cup to help hold the glass in place.

Take care with thin mirror as it's possible to break the glass while pushing too hard to quickly.

Cheers!
    Rob

Thanks all. Alternating vertical lines of silicone and double sided tape has also been suggested. So many options...

My biggest concern now is lifting the thing over the vanity and into place. 40+KG with extended arms is going to be very difficult to manage. Now wishing we paid for installation.

I think I may invest in some glass suction cups to make it a bit easier link

+1 on silicon + double sided tape

Can also use duct tape to help hold against the wall till the silicon goes off

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla73 View Post
    @@3M™ VHB™ Tape 4910

We use this at work, along with silicone applied in a ^ pattern (as in upside down V's) so any moisture that gets behind can run off.
    That tape seems very expensive...

I've found some Gorilla tape from Bunnings that will hold 20KG/m so 3 rolls will do me, but it's very thin and I'm worried the silicone will be too thick so the tape won't touch the wall. Just how thick should the tape be?

You get what you pay for, it's expensive yes but it sticks. It's about 1 1/2 mm thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla73 View Post
    You get what you pay for, it's expensive yes but it sticks. It's about 1 1/2 mm thick.
    Do you know where I can buy a single roll? Al the sellers I looked at only sell bulk.

Novice

I have a very similar question. Am re-tiling an old bathroom, and wondering if I should just mount the mirror flush with the tiles, as part of the tiling job.
    Backing is mostly brick wall (finished, old tile adhesive removed and paint sanded back.) Mirror is 60x96 Godmorgon, with safety film on back, about 6kg.

Could let the tiles vertically below set, then rest mirror on top with tiling spacers. Silicone, or tiling adhesive to attach it to wall?
    I figure tile adhesive, as silicone or glue will be too thin, and mirror inset too far. Could mounting tape be double-layered for thickness?
    Plain 6mm white ceramic tiles and 4mm mirror.
    Is this a bad idea?

If it breaks or corrodes before the house is demolished, and hard to remove, I could just mount a new bigger one over the top of it.

> I've found some Gorilla tape from Bunnings

You mean this one? https://www.bunnings.com.au/tarzan-s...-tape_p1210342

Lincoln Sentry have it, most glass mobs would use it too and may sell you a few hundred mm.

Quote Originally Posted by tundra View Post

> I've found some Gorilla tape from Bunnings

You mean this one? https://www.bunnings.com.au/tarzan-s...-tape_p1210342
    Yup, that's the one. Tarzan, not Gorilla.

7K Club Member

This > Selleys Liquid Nails Mirror, Metal and Glass - Construction Adhesive | Selleys Australia

Specifically designed for the job. Just follow the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    This > Selleys Liquid Nails Mirror, Metal and Glass - Construction Adhesive | Selleys Australia

It's clear and takes 72 hours to cure, can't be painted, releases methyl ethyl ketoxime as it cures, and can be removed with Selley's silicone remover. Maybe it's just a neutral cure silicone!

Could be a bit like that tricky marketing that Nurefen tried on us, and heavily fined for.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post

If your mirror has a plastic film backing, regular "liquid nails" should be fine. But can it be applied thickly like tile adhesive?

Quote Originally Posted by tundra View Post
    If your mirror has a plastic film backing, regular "liquid nails" should be fine. But can it be applied thickly like tile adhesive?
    I wouldn't use standard liquid nails for anything critical like that.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    It's clear and takes 72 hours to cure, can't be painted, releases methyl ethyl ketoxime as it cures, and can be removed with Selley's silicone remover. Maybe it's just a neutral cure silicone!

Could be a bit like that tricky marketing that Nurefen tried on us, and heavily fined for.
    Maybe. But most of the above advice about circles and blobs is flawed. Vertical lines is the only way to hang a mirror with (neutral cure!) silicone

Agree circles is not what I would do, and yes, vertical or / / \ \ type strokes.

Novice

Why does that matter? It is not obvious.

IMO circles might create pressure differential and trap possible moisture. Vertical let's any moisture drain away.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    IMO circles might create pressure differential and trap possible moisture. Vertical let's any moisture drain away.
    Circles prevent air getting to the inside edge so slows down the cure. Straight lines allow air flow to both sides of the bead. Silicone won't cure without air contact.