Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Half of my bathroom floor is...empty. Suggestions please!!

Default Half of my bathroom floor is...empty. Suggestions please!!

I have just have wall removed, but i realised there is no flooring under the bath and shower tray. As it is an old house, bath and tray are made of metal. If I just do the same, people will fall through the fibre glass bath definitely. See my photos.

My plan was from reading of this forum. Now, things are from out of blue. I have never seen a case like this. What should I do? Please please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0602.jpg   img_0595.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by nethern View Post
    I have just have wall removed, but i realised there is no flooring under the bath and shower tray. As it is an old house, bath and tray are made of metal. If I just do the same, people will fall through the fibre glass bath definitely. See my photos.

My plan was from reading of this forum. Now, things are from out of blue. I have never seen a case like this. What should I do? Please please.
    If you are lifting out the press metal bath and placing a fibreglass bath into the same frame it should be an easy matter to nail in a few floor boards to provide a base, you also need to seat the bath into a mud mix. I don't know what the ACT waterproofing requirements are though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    If you are lifting out the press metal bath and placing a fibreglass bath into the same frame it should be an easy matter to nail in a few floor boards to provide a base, you also need to seat the bath into a mud mix. I don't know what the ACT waterproofing requirements are though.
    I have thought about that, but there is no support underneath. It is completely empty.

I am thinking maybe I need to build up the floor first before I can do it properly. However, that comes to another question, what should I do with the existing concret part?
    I could:
    1) Take it off and redo all brand new or
    2) just leave it and build up the same in the empty whole or
    3) only build some supports underneath the bath and shower or
    4) instead of building another concret floor, build a wooden floor.

I wanted to do what you guys did - build a walk in shower.

What do you people think.

Is the existing floor a screed over existing flooring or is it a whopping great block of concrete down to ground level? if it is just a screed you could lift that up then patch the floor then re screed. You can see bearers under the bath but no joists, so you have a house on stumps and if you have a screed I would pull the lot up, put in new joists and do a floor in 19mm cement sheet. If it is a concrete block you are dealing with I would certainly be giving this a lot of thought in regard to difficulty and cost..

3K Club Member

+ 1

Good luck
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

1K Club Member

We had a similar situation but without the concrete. These old ex-housing commission houses had no flooring under the bath. We also had some rot in the original floorboards. The whole lot came up, and we replaced with scyon compressed cement sheet. Thankfully the bearers and joists were in reasonable condition.

Keep us posted on how you go with it.
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

I hired a big demo saw from kennard to remove most of the concret. The saw was so hard to used and the blade just dose not cut through the steel inside well. I spent whole day sawing it down to pieces, leaving me with back,wrist sour for days. Then I bought a 230mm grinder to remove the part near the wall. Now it ends up like this.

It is first time i did it so please don't laugh at me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0618-1-.jpg   img_0619-2-.jpg   img_0620-1-.jpg  

4K Club Member

That looks to have been very hard work, I'm glad our floor was timber.
    Where are you going from here?

G'day,

Bathrooms are always full of surprises, but you're doing a great job. Not hard from here to add the bearers and joists then sheet the floor, at least it's all open now and you can access all the plumbing and electrical jobs easily.
    I had a life, but my job ate it...

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    That looks to have been very hard work, I'm glad our floor was timber.
    Where are you going from here?
    I will need to put in four joist and sheet the floor. So far I dont know what kind of sheeting and size/"F"grade the joist I should use. Doing so research at the moment.

I just reroute the copper pipe to allow space to fit joists.