Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

joints in copper pipes??

Apprentice (new member)

Default joints in copper pipes??

Hi All. I'm a new member here, and have questions already. Hope you can help.
    I am running the copper pipes in the bathroom, its a brand-new bathroom in a solid brick house. I have chased slots in the walls to accept the pipes.
    Wondering what you think I should use to join copper pipes to fittings etc. Compression fittings are tempting, but most will be buried in the wall, behind the tiles.
    Would I be better off sweating the pipe into fittings? Is lead solder okay, or should I use silver solder instead?

The pre-soldered yorkshire fittings are handy for just one or two joints. You are not supposed to use lead-bearing solder (but I find it easier to use than the no-lead substitutes). Silver soldering is fine, but overkill.
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

If its going to be buried I would silver solder to attach the fittings, do you have the gear to do?.

Yorkshire are okay if you know what your doing as they can be prone to overheating... the leaving small pinholes, therefor weak spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ppete View Post
    Is lead solder okay, or should I use silver solder instead?
    G'day Ppete

The Australian standard for plumbing states

AS/NZS 3500.1:2003 Plumbing and drainage Part 1: Water services
    Clause 2.7 JOINTS

Silver brazing alloy shall contain a minimum of 1.8% silver and a maximum of 0.05% cadmium

Soft solder shall not contain more than 0.1% lead by weight

I would only use silver soldered joints on copper pipe and especially where it will be buried in a wall.
    You are going to use a licensed plumber and get a COC aren't you?

I think you will find that compression fittings, unless able to exposed via access panels are totally illegal behind walls. Silver solder everything, use a licenced plumber and make sure it is pressure tested and inspected by the authorities before the tiles go on. You only get one shot at this so do it properly.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks so much for the quick replies, and sage advice. I actually thought I could legally do hot and cold water, thought License was only necessary for sewerage. After receiving two horrendous quotes for plumbing, thought I could save a few bucks here and spend it on the tiles.
    I've done a fair bit of silver solder work in industrial cooling systems, copper to copper, stainless steel and brass, joints have to be mechanically sound and electrically conductive, so thought I could jag these okay. Only I have heard about fittings filled with lead that you can sweat pipe into, and plastic pipe used in new houses.

Looks as if I will contact a(nother) plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by ppete View Post
    Looks as if I will contact a(nother) plumber.
    G'day Ppete
    I have a good plumber and as you are in Adelaide I could see if he is interested in giving you a quote. Just need to know where you are located and maybe a contact number.
    Just drop me a private message.
    Regards

Novice

if you have to run pipes a long way, why dont you adapt from copper to a plastic pipe and save money that way. whoever sells you the pipe can lend out a set of crimpers for the pipes too. saves all the copper brazing and its alot easier if you have never done it before.