Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Minimum wall turn-up for waterproofing

Novice

Default Minimum wall turn-up for waterproofing

The tradesman only applied 120mm of waterproofing in some part of my bathroom walls, and left a big gap (500 mm) between the toilet water outlet and the floor as shown in the picture. I couldn't understand why he applied full waterproofing on the wall area between the floor and the water outlets for the hand basin but not for the toilet area. Could someone please advise whether what he did was correct/sufficient? Thanks.
    partial-waterproofing.jpg

First up I am not familiar with any waterproofing standards in NSW, there may be something that applies I am not aware of.

120 up the wall should be ok unless you intend to have the water on the floor deeper than that.
    As there is wall penetrations for water to the basin these should be sealed at the openings, Any leak at the tap is stopped from getting into the wall with the waterproof all the way to the floor the wall below any leak is also protected.

Novice

First up I am not familiar with any waterproofing standards in NSW, there may be something that applies I am not aware of.
    I think waterproofing must conform to the Australian Standards AS3740, regardless of states? According to this link, the walls need to be waterproofed up to 150mm.

Any leak at the tap is stopped from getting into the wall with the waterproof all the way to the floor
    Yes, that makes sense. But that also means the wall from the tap for the toilet tank should be waterproofed all the way to floor, doesn't it?

AS long as you get a certificate of compliance what does it matter what they do?

That certificate means that they're responsible if it's found that they didn't do something to code and the house experiences water damage as a result of their negligence.

I wouldn't think there's a massive difference between 120mm or 150mm off the ground. Besides you need tiles or some form of splash guard on the bottom of the walls anyway which should protect the walls too. Tiles must be a minimum of 200mm off the floor, ontop of existing floor tiles.

Waterproofing agent is expensive and hard to paint over so it's likely the waterproofer doesn't want to waste any of the agent if they dont have too.

You dont need any waterproofing around the dunny, just around the basin & Shower plus floor and 150mm along the walls.

Novice

AS long as you get a certificate of compliance what does it matter what they do?
    Given what happened to the Opal Tower and Mascot Tower recently, I'm so wary to the so called "certificate" as it might mean nothing. I just wanted some assurance from the general public that the waterproofing was done correctly.

Without downloading the AS which you need to pay for, you can view copies of it online
    https://www.scribd.com/document/2810...stic-Wet-Areas

The 150mm appears to be relevant above water vessel's, for the rest of the room it looks like 25mm above FFL.
    As with any standard it is always open to interpretation, if anyone has more accurate or detailed information happy for them to add to this.