Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

opinions needed please

Novice

Default opinions needed please

Evening everyone

My husband and I are about to finish our renovations. (almost few things left)

The question I want to ask is:

Should we have one very large bathroom, or should we make a smaller bathroom, with an ensuite coming off the main bedroom.????????????????

We have decided that we would like acreage so when our house is finished we will be putting it on the market.

Most people I speak to say just slap a new bathroom together, dont worry about an ensuite. BUT we have made a good job on the rest of the house and I couldnt spoil this by doing a shoddy job

Be a lucky bugger who buys my house, the WHOLE house will be brand new by the time we have finished.

Anyway, opinions needed please.

Novice

It depends on exactly how big 'one big bathroom' is. Can you post the dimensions? A bathroom could easily be too big, there's only so much room you need.
    You have lived in the house so your a better judge than anyone. Would an ensuite be something you would have liked to have off your bedroom? Or is the existing one close enough?
    Does the house have much storage already? Would a decent sized bathroom and a nice big linen cupboard be a better option. I know i've lived in houses where that sort of storage space has been skimped on and it's a pain.
    It's really hard to offer much more advice without seeing the place, got any pics?

Novice

OK will get the dimensions tomorrow when I can find the tape

Apprentice (new member) Plastic Fang's Avatar

Default My 2 cents

If the size of your house is such that a family is likely to buy it, go with an ensuite as a big drawcard. It's great having a separate bathroom to the kids (and guests when they stay).

There is always someone in the bathroom when you need it. Go with the ensuite I reckon.
    When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Alien in a Strange Land Honorary Bloke's Avatar

Hi Jane,

Speaking as an estate agent, you will be better off with the ensuite. Get a higher price and will sell much more quickly.

Disclaimer: None. This is a no brainer.
    Cheers,

Bob

"The population of Sydney was divided into two classes, those who sold rum and those who drank it."
    --Dr George Macakness (1806)

Jane,
    Ensuites have moved from being an attractive feature in an upmarket place to being an expected item in todays housing market. Sort of like air conditioning in cars - once a luxury, now most people would think twice about buying a car without it. If you are going to do it though make it nice, not the walk in-back out nooks that project homes offered in the 70's

Novice

Ok, yes I thought it was better to have an ensuite too. Was just hoping we didnt have to do both

Do you think a shower over the bath in an ensuite is accepatable.

I think a bath is still needed, incase someone with little ones buys the house, but I want the new bathroom to have a feeling of space

BYW thanks for the answers so far

Apprentice (new member) Plastic Fang's Avatar

Shower over bath is fine I reckon. It doesn't have to be old fashioned like it used to be. Have a look at some of the shower / bath set ups from Artemis. Very nice and modern.
    When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Jane

I think a bath (or spa bath) in the bathroom is essential, but that a shower alone is sufficient in the en-suite.

Perhaps estate agent Bob could give a professional view here.

Cheers

Graeme

Novice

Thanks for the answers. Yes I think a bath in an ensuite sounds a bit like over kill, but we are using our old bathroom as the ensuite. (very small main bathroom as it stands)

The old laundry which stands next to the bathroom will be used for the new bathroom plus a bit from the old bathroom. (sounds a bit confusing)

I change my mind everyday, I am going to have to just make a decision and stick to it.

I have been looking at the new free standing baths and I am begining to think I will add one to the new bathroom. Can get a lovely looking freestanding bath for $1100,