Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

in which order?

PVS

Default in which order?

Hi guys,

I am about halfway through a full house reno...I have posted in other threads about it but basically it is a 1940's house in original condition which we have gutted and are renovating.

We are currently about halfway through, plaster is all hung, but I am a bit stuck about which order we should go about doing things in the bathroom.

We have had everything re-plumbed, so the bathroom is fully roughed in. We had to replace / re-inforce some of the joists in the sub floor, and have just got the cement sheeting layed and the plastering has been done.

My father in law wants to water proof and caulk (he has some experience in this) but we are getting a professional tiler in.

Do we waterproof now, before tiling and screeding? or after?

Also, we will be installing a frameless shower screen, are these installed before tiling or after?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions, although we have learnt a lot over the past 8 months we are still total newbies compared to some!

thanks for reading

Maryanne

Novice

Hahaha, of course you waterproof before tiling unless you want paint all over your tiles. :P It will be done between screeding and tiling.

Also, the shower screen will be installed after all the tiling is done so that the measurements are done perfectly.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by PVS View Post
    Hi guys,

I am about halfway through a full house reno...I have posted in other threads about it but basically it is a 1940's house in original condition which we have gutted and are renovating.

We are currently about halfway through, plaster is all hung, but I am a bit stuck about which order we should go about doing things in the bathroom.

We have had everything re-plumbed, so the bathroom is fully roughed in. We had to replace / re-inforce some of the joists in the sub floor, and have just got the cement sheeting layed and the plastering has been done.

My father in law wants to water proof and caulk (he has some experience in this) but we are getting a professional tiler in.

Do we waterproof now, before tiling and screeding? or after?

You can waterproof before or after screeding, some prefer to waterproof before screeding is the screed then protects the membrane, however this have an effect on the drainage so if the floor slopes seal it after screeding,

Also note that if waterproofing before screeding the waste pipe above the waterproofing must have slots cut in the sides to allow drainage at the floor level. This reduces mould.

Also, we will be installing a frameless shower screen, are these installed before tiling or after?

Not only are they installed after tiling but should be purchased after tiling as well, this way they can be 'made to fit' thus avoiding the armatures gap.

Sorry if these are really stupid questions, although we have learnt a lot over the past 8 months we are still total newbies compared to some!

thanks for reading

Maryanne
    Hope this helps.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

PVS

Thanks guys....this helps immensely!!!

Sounds like it may be best to waterproof after screeding...and it makes sense now that the shower screen gets installed after tiling...thankyou

3K Club Member

Be sure to continue the waterproofing down and into the waste to eliminate any moisture getting under the screed.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

PVS

Thanks for the extra tip

My father in law is doing the waterproofing...I will be sure to pass it on!