Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Is it possible to paint a bit of the grout?

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Golden Member Watters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    566

    Default Is it possible to paint a bit of the grout?

    At the following location:

    imgur: the simple image sharer

    I have uploaded a photograph of the shower renovation I am doing.

    Basically, I have removed the old floor tiles, removed the old floor tile adhesive, kept the existing wall tiles in place, installed a puddle flange, rubber based waterproofed the lot (green), put down new floor tiles and tiled two rows of tiles around the bottom of the shower, and then installed melamine wall panels.

    There is a bit of a gap between the bottom of the wall panels and the top of the wall tiles (left-hand arrow in the photograph).
    Also, there is a 120mm raised ledge which people will step over to get into the shower (right-hand arrow in the photograph).

    I need to do something to tidy up the grout line between the bottom of the wall panels and the top of the two rows of wall tiles.
    I also need to do something to hide the grout and waterproof membrane on the top of the raised ledge.

    Would it do any harm if I used Taubmans exterior water based paint on the grout?
    Note, Crommelin have already told me it is okay to paint on the waterproof membrane using water based paint.

  2. #2
    Novice
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Hi there,

    For the gap between panel and wall/upstand tiles, if it is 30mm or less (please check all product guides and recommendations) you may be able to use something like the Selleys Pro Multipurpose Sealant or other products that are waterproof i.e. most Polyurethane's and these are generally used as a construction joint.
    Polyurethane Sealants and Adhesives | Selleys Australia

    Have a look at the Sika and Soudal products:
    AWS Products. T-Rex Power Bond Grey 290ml


    For the top of the hob entry, I would personally make up a stainless steel or aluminium sheet that covers the entire surface with a folded edge facing down the inside tile face (only 10mm) and glue it down with the polyurethane adhesive sealant and other joints with general clear bathroom silicone.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Golden Member Watters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peersy View Post
    Hi there,
    For the gap between panel and wall/upstand tiles, if it is 30mm or less (please check all product guides and recommendations) you may be able to use something like the Selleys Pro Multipurpose Sealant or other products that are waterproof i.e. most Polyurethane's and these are generally used as a construction joint.
    Polyurethane or silicone will attract mould over time at which point I would then need to cut out the silicone and redo it. This is risky as it could easily damage the waterproofing hence why I just want to paint it.

    Quote Originally Posted by peersy View Post
    Hi there,
    For the top of the hob entry, I would personally make up a stainless steel or aluminium sheet that covers the entire surface with a folded edge facing down the inside tile face (only 10mm) and glue it down with the polyurethane adhesive sealant and other joints with general clear bathroom silicone.
    I need to reinstate a pop-riveted piece of plastic for the bottom of the fixed pane of glass behind the glass sliding doors. If I fit aluminium (which I do like the idea of) and one day I need to replace that piece of plastic again (current one was broken) how would I do that, again without damaging the waterproofing?

    Can I use water-based acrylic paint on grout?

  4. #4
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    The problem with painting over grout is that water will build up behind it, ie, the will stop water passing through the grout.Not sure this be an advantage in this application.

    Any water behind the sheets (condensation) may not be able to get out.Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

  5. #5
    Golden Member Watters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    The problem with painting over grout is that water will build up behind it, ie, the will stop water passing through the grout.Not sure this be an advantage in this application.
    Okay, but the grout (Kemgrout) was mixed with a flexible grout additive (Primebond). The Primebond (in addition to its other beneficial properties) waterproofs the grout somewhat so water probably won't be able to travel through the grout anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    Any water behind the sheets (condensation) may not be able to get out.Good luck and fair winds.
    Fair comment, although I did a big bead of Soudal Fix All Classic adhesive/sealant close to the edge all the way around the panel and then lots of lines of it criss-crossing the full area of the panel. So any water that gets behind the panels will only reach the first 20mm or so, if that.

    Still, both comments have given me pause for thought, thanks. I will silicone the panel edges for extra prevention of water entry.

  6. #6
    PLU.MBR.BL.DR. bricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Adelaide - West
    Age
    41
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Why don't you just paint it?
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th Sep 2012, 04:54 AM
  2. Paint over bathroom grout?
    By barrysumpter in forum Painting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd Oct 2011, 10:12 PM
  3. Paint on grout protection
    By Sam Pato in forum Painting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th Oct 2009, 11:00 PM
  4. Will grout adhere to paint on the wall?
    By Paws in forum Tiling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th Nov 2006, 11:38 PM
  5. Will grout adhere to paint on the wall?
    By Paws in forum Painting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th Nov 2006, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •