Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Repair Holes In Floor

Novice

Default Repair Holes In Floor

I am renovating our ensuite, and have ripped up the tiles and screed. I am relocating the floor waste and replacing the shower drain with a linear drain against the wall. The result is that I have two holes from the old drains in the floor that need to be filled before the waterproofer does his thing.

The floor is some sort of asbestos (yes warning stickers) cement sheet on an elevated joist floor. The holes are between 80 and 100mm and random in shape.

How should I go about repairing the holes so there is a reasonable finish for the waterproofer?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you have access to the underside of the floor ?

Novice

Yes. Very easy access under the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexyboy View Post
    Yes. Very easy access under the floor.

OK, we would usually put an offcut of villaboard underneath it, and put a block under this, prop the two pieces up so they sit tight to the floor.

Then put some self levelling compound in from the top, once dried you can remove the prop and villaboard and you should have a perfectly plugged hole.
    It should not fall out as the original hole in the floor is usually rough as guts if it was done without a holesaw.

Alternatively you can put the villaboard under, and put a 4x2 timber under the villaboard on it's flat between the two joists where the hole is, fix it in permanently, and again either fill with self leveling, or the tiler will fill when he screeds the floor.

Novice

OK, hit a slight snag. The previous waterproofing around the wastes was some sort of kryptonite based (possibly epoxy) material that has left a build up on the underside of the floor. I laid into it with a scutch chisel a few times and barely made a dent. As the floor contains asbestos I probably should let sleeping dogs lie.

Bottom line is that I won't be able to get a good seal on the underside with Villaboard. My thought is to gaffer tape some builders plastic on the underside before pouring the leveling compound in.

What are your thoughts? Anyone have a better plan?

Thanks.

4K Club Member

You need to have a couple of correctly fixed trimmers under the penetration supporting some flooring material, if there is any gaps from underfloor dags just seal from the top with some silicone then grout the depression level with the existing floor level, anything less could be punched through with reasonable force. The asbestos cement sheeting should have been removed because of the extent of the work you are doing to it.
    regards inter