Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Replacing shower silicon seals

Apprentice (new member)

Default Replacing shower silicon seals

I am finally moving out of rentals into our own house!!! YAYY

However despite regular cleaning the dreaded black mold has worked its way under the silicon beading in the shower of the rental house I am in. The shower has a ceramic base, with 2 melamine? walls and 2 glass walls (1 is a door..). No matter how much scrubbing I do before we move out in 6 weeks, it wont come clean. I dont want to lose any bond over it.

I plan to remove it, and replace with new silicon beads.

Is there an effective method for removing the silicon around the shower base, and up the wall corners?

Shoud I use White sealant to match the ceramics, or clear? It has got clear on it now.

Thanks in advance

Matt

i would say thats the owners problem

i would leave it

China

As said above if mold has made it's way under the seal then it was not sealed properly in the first place, it would come under normal wear and should not impose on your bond

I think it comes under normal wear and tear/maintenance - at least that is how I view it and don't hold my tenant responsible provided he makes some attempt to keep clean and minimise mould problem. Domestos will give it a reasonable clean which is what I use in my home, and lemon jiuce works too I am told. However the Reno Kings swear by pool chlorine for cleaning mould from a bathroom and at about $6 a bag is good value. I also read where someone had bought a unit which had bad floor grout mould - poured a few bottles of Domestos all over it, closed the door and left overnight. Came up like new in the morning

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Thanks for the replies Now that Ive had a closer look at it, it looks like the seals have been partly redone, there is different silicone on the bottom around the base, to what is up the wall corners, with some smears on the side of the base. So it looks like a previous tenant has had a hack at it before. I'll give it a good soaking of domestos or similar after we move out ( chlorine isn't very good for your lungs) , and see if it cleans up ok, its just that the mold really is under the silicon, and can't be scrubbed off in weekly cleaning Thanks

GeoffW1

Hi,

If a situation develops where you really feel you have to redo it, take a very sharp blade like a utility knife, and hold it at a angle a little away from the tile. Run it down the silicon seal, and do the same on the other side.

Then get a good grip on the top end of the seal strip, best with a pair of pliers, and pull it away from the tile. If your cuts are deep enough, it should come off. Clean off messy bits with the sharp blade.

Kill the mould with something for that, like Domestos, and then prime the surface with a rag wet with turps. Apply to the V shaped cut a strip of sealer, like

Selleys Wet Area Silicone

or similar (there are cheaper brands, ask at the hardware place). Don't lay in excessive amounts, just enough to be smoothed along with your little finger. Keep the finger wet with a solution of water and a dash of detergent. Don't try to resmooth the surface more than once more, and immediately, or it will just get worse.

Cheers