Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Shower Hob removal

Apprentice (new member)

Default Shower Hob removal

Hi folks,

Starting a bathroom renovation in a few weeks and I'm just slowly working through everything to iron out my plan. Trying to not move anything around as its on a concrete slab with brick walls

Bathroom currently has a shower hob which I would like to remove and replace with a simple framed shower.
    Once I've demolished the hob (and the rest of the bathroom) is it as simple as getting my waterproofer to install angles for the shower and my tiler to tile up to them or is there a bit more prep work to the slab involved to get the fall to the shower drain?

You need to have smooth surfaces and most likely you will need to put a new screed in the shower to get your levels correct. Usually after getting the tiles up the old screed will sustain some damage or be left with glues and bits of tile. A cup grinder will help with the tidy up.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Is the shower already lower than the outside of the shower?

I'd prefer to get the tiler to screed first and then waterproof afterwards, rather than the other way round.

This way, the screed won't be constantly wet.

Personally for my 3 bathrooms, ground floor and 1st floor, I waterproofed the slab, installed angles, screeded and waterproofed again.

I got a professional waterproofer to do both under and over. Can't be too safe, inexpensive compared to failed waterproofing.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    You need to have smooth surfaces and most likely you will need to put a new screed in the shower to get your levels correct. Usually after getting the tiles up the old screed will sustain some damage or be left with glues and bits of tile. A cup grinder will help with the tidy up.
    Thanks for the response mate! Some good pointers there. I guess I won't know until I start the demolition whether I'll be able to get the correct levels after removing the shower hob?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
    Is the shower already lower than the outside of the shower?

I'd prefer to get the tiler to screed first and then waterproof afterwards, rather than the other way round.

This way, the screed won't be constantly wet.

Personally for my 3 bathrooms, ground floor and 1st floor, I waterproofed the slab, installed angles, screeded and waterproofed again.

I got a professional waterproofer to do both under and over. Can't be too safe, inexpensive compared to failed waterproofing.
    Not too sure about the current levels. I don't have access to the place at the moment, the fact that there is a hob makes me think probably not.

Yeah decent advice on the waterproofing mate I'll do some research and speak to the waterproofer

JB1
    1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    Not too sure about the current levels. I don't have access to the place at the moment, the fact that there is a hob makes me think probably not.

Yeah decent advice on the waterproofing mate I'll do some research and speak to the waterproofer
    If it's the same height, the angles alone aren't going to work.

ST

Novice

Silicone angles onto substrate. But... figure out how falls will work in the room as you will also need an angle at door to contain new screed and tiles. when tiles go in need to finish flush at door but lip in shower under shower screen. Talk to tiler, one you know falls, silicone in and water proof. You can do water proof under amd over screed but consider how it will work with your new drain

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for this advice @Renopete123. I'll be sure to have a good chat to the tiler and make sure we get it right the first time