Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Shower sliding door

7K Club Member

Default Shower sliding door

I saw this online today. In an apartment in Melb CBD. First time I've noticed a sliding shower door, and thought how smart is that! How often I find a swinging door gets in the way (e.g. of reaching for a towel) and the swing often means water over the floor unnecessarily, etc. And having the drain channel along the glass and under the door, also a great idea in my book.

bathroom-slider.png

2K Club Member

Been around for a while. Just did 2 bathrooms in a Reno and they had those barn door style doors installed. They look and work pretty good. The grate near the door on the other hand. Very dumb.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by sol381 View Post
    ... The grate near the door on the other hand. Very dumb.
    Why?
    Surely its an effective general floor waste too.

2K Club Member

just going off what a few plumbers have said to me and what ive heard from owners who have them. you want shower water to fall away from the door. adesignated main floor waste is a better option. Im doing a bathroom reno at the moment and they have the grate at the door. They said its nothing but problems. one of the reasons they want to renovate the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Why?
    Surely its an effective general floor waste too.
    Smart tile strip drain would be a better option so you don’t see all the grunge that collects in the bottom of open grates like shown.

2K Club Member

Yeah thats about all we use. the grates seem to be outdated now.

7K Club Member

.... Im doing a bathroom reno at the moment and they have the grate at the door. They said its nothing but problems. one of the reasons they want to renovate the bathroom.
    Well I'm certainly no expert, but that sounds like it wasn't done right, maybe not enough fall.

But good to know about that smart tile thingo.

Will keep this all in mind when it comes time. Cheers guys

The grate near the door on the other hand. Very dumb.
    Yep

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Yep
    Hmmm. This apartment building is only a few years old, unlikely individual renovations in that time, so literally a hundred bathrooms done this way in this building

2K Club Member

Maybe it works fine there. having one waste pipe instead of 2 might save time and money. Those shower screens arent cheap either. must be a flash hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Hmmm. This apartment building is only a few years old, unlikely individual renovations in that time, so literally a hundred bathrooms done this way in this building
    What I have seen the water tracks across the the drain grate and puddles to the other side, I notice in the pic that the strip drain extends along the glass area as well which would alleviate the issue.

Novice

Actually, this idea had occurred to me when I started planning my ensuite renovation; however I also came to the conclusion (like the others here) that it had too many problems:

1. The strip drain would need to be under the sliding door & guide section (as in your image) which I thought would make it awkward for removal and cleaning.
    2. The strip drain would also need to run inside the length of the fixed panel (siliconed to the floor/water stop). OK for the shower but unable to be used for the general area. If left open (not siliconed to floor), it will need to be screwed in by a bracket to the floor (waterproofing may be compromised), and there will be water egress to the other side as this is right where you stand and the shower head is directed.
    3. If the general area is sloped down to the strip drain and the fixed panel is siliconed, this means that it slopes down to the fixed panel as well; not ideal and may tend to accumulate crap along this join.
    4. Countering this with a compound slope in the general area would be problematic esp. at the fixed panel bottom edge. Having the general area all level instead makes it harder to make use of the strip drain when cleaning (it becomes the furthest point from the opposite end wall to mop excess water into).
    5. Further, if the general area is sloped down to the strip drain (and the ensuite entrance door is on the wall at right angles to the drain), there will be an uneven gap visible under the entrance door.
    6. The shower screen panels are the longest length on which to locate the drain, which means that a) great care will be needed to ensure that the bottom of the drain is kept level (ideally should also be fabricated with slope towards outlet) or water will tend to pool and remain stagnant, and b) there is a greater area of drain perimeter which will need to be cleaned (one of the disadvantages of a strip drain in general, but made worse in this scenario).
    7. Having the drain in the shower entrance means that it will be walked on frequently (as opposed to rarely if at the edge of the shower). If you have smart tiles in the drain (and I guess they would be long lengths if you have large tiles) then I would be worried about possibly causing cracks in these tiles over time.

I ended up just having simple smart tile drains, one in the shower and one for the general floor waste. So far I'm very happy with them; easy to clean, no big deal for the plumber and gave the tiler an extra degree of freedom.

7K Club Member

Gee. It's obviously not that hard