Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Tile shower base broken and leaking

Default Tile shower base broken and leaking

Hi, we have a mosaic tiled shower base and there appears to be a crack of some sort underneath a section of the tiles as it is soft and I can push down on it. The shower base tiles have broken away from the corner wall tile which I presume has occurred as the glue has deteriorated underneath and weakened. Water is now going through this gap. I checked under the house and water is leaking so the waterproofing has failed.

We had the bathroom renovated 5 or so years ago by a tradesman but the shower itself was done poorly. The rest of the bathroom is in good condition. Would it be possible if I pull out the bottom row of wall tiles and the shower base, re-waterproof (i know technically the entire shower area should be waterproofed but want to avoid ripping apart everything) then install a proper shower base then re-tile the bottom row of the wall tiles?

I'm looking at getting a custom shower base from these guys as we have a 1100x800 base and I cannot find one anywhere as it is non standard base. I do not want to re-tile the shower base again.
    UltraLow // Custom Shower Base | by formed

Would the above method work or would we have to literally rip it all out and start again?

Also, would anyone know of any other company that do custom made shower bases in Melbourne?

Thank you.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by gt88 View Post
    Hi, we have a mosaic tiled shower base and there appears to be a crack of some sort underneath a section of the tiles as it is soft and I can push down on it. The shower base tiles have broken away from the corner wall tile which I presume has occurred as the glue has deteriorated underneath and weakened. Water is now going through this gap. I checked under the house and water is leaking so the waterproofing has failed.

We had the bathroom renovated 5 or so years ago by a tradesman but the shower itself was done poorly. . Would it be possible if I pull out the bottom row of wall tiles and the shower base, re-waterproof (i know technically the entire shower area should be waterproofed but want to avoid ripping apart everything) then install a proper shower base then re-tile the bottom row of the wall tiles?

I'm looking at getting a custom shower base from these guys as we have a 1100x800 base and I cannot find one anywhere as it is non standard base. I do not want to re-tile the shower base again.
    UltraLow // Custom Shower Base | by formed

Would the above method work or would we have to literally rip it all out and start again?
    Thank you.
    To install a preformed shower base the wall foot plate and part of the upright wall timber has to be trimmed so that the wall sheeting overhangs the lip on the Back edges of the new shower base.

You could make a cut say 50mm below the second tile up the wall and insert a new bit of sheeting to get the overhang and make sure the cut joint is waterproofed as well as the wall floor joint before sliding the new base in, but this would be a bodgie fix.
    Also set the base on a tile glue bedding to reduce movement, and make sure the 'O' ring on the drain connection is spotlessly clean as they are prone to leaking.

Note the above advice is not the best fix but will get you out of jail.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

The wall tiles are 450. So would you recommend that we cut out two wall tiles (i.e. 900 from the base) to put in sheeting, waterproof etc?

Only problem I might have is that we only have 4 spare wall tiles. When I previously contacted the supplier, they no longer stock that tile!

As an alternative, if we rip out all the shower wall tiles and leave the remainder of the bathroom tiles as is, then waterproof the shower area and install the appropriate sheeting in order to fit the base would this also work? I found a base that is 820x1220 which should fit and is cheaper than making a custom base with the link I provided above. https://www.8appliances.com.au/uniqu...220mm-alr-8212

Also found this ad on gumtree which would also fit Sliding door shower screen+Base+wall liner+shower taps | Building Materials | Gumtree Australia Kingston Area - Moorabbin | 1098511432

Would it look silly if the shower wall tiles were one style/size and the remainder of the bathroom was the old wall tiles (which are still in brand new condition)?

My plumber mate should be able to give me a hand with the job.

Thanks.

2K Club Member

I think it would look fine if you make it look like a deliberate style choice.

For example, use a different colour than the rest of the bathroom or a pattern that tones in.

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    I think it would look fine if you make it look like a deliberate style choice.

For example, use a different colour than the rest of the bathroom or a pattern that tones in.
    Thanks. The wall tiles for the entire bathroom are white and there is a mosaic pattern about 3/4 of the way up around the entire room. They are light brown/cream. If I find a similar colour tile it may look half decent like you said.

1K Club Member

You've had a bit of journey with this shower base going by your previous posts over the years. I just have to say, make sure it's done properly, no shortcuts. Good luck.

2K Club Member

You say its soft and you can push down on it sounds like its rotting. Whats the sub floor made of

Reminds me of this work mate I met once at Bunnings. He dragged me to the silicone stand to ask me which one he should buy to fix the shower in the first floor of his house that was leaking.
    I asked how did he know it was leaking and from where since I knew his house was rather new.
    He said ... it's from the crack in the shower floor ... (?) ... I can see the light from the room downstairs ... you see I have 4 boys and they are my same size ... (1.9m) ... and when someone opens the hot water in the kitchen they all communicate with the lower floor by stomping on the floor rather hard ...
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by goldie1 View Post
    You say its soft and you can push down on it sounds like its rotting. Whats the sub floor made of
    It's an old home so boards. Can't recall if the tradie put down sheeting. I presume not if the floor can be pushed down due to rot.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by gt88 View Post
    It's an old home so boards. Can't recall if the tradie put down sheeting. I presume not if the floor can be pushed down due to rot.
    The floor will be rotting and prob the top of the joists. It has to come up frame repaired if necessary and

floor replaced with scyon or durafloor

3K Club Member

Quote: We had the bathroom renovated 5 or so years ago by a tradesman but the shower itself was done poorly. The rest of the bathroom is in good condition. Would it be possible if I pull out the bottom row of wall tiles and the shower base, re-waterproof (i know technically the entire shower area should be waterproofed but want to avoid ripping apart everything) then install a proper shower base then re-tile the bottom row of the wall tiles?

Just re read your original post.

If this shower waterproofed only 5 years ago it will be covered with a warranty from the tradesman who did the job.

Have you considered contacting the tradesman?

Under the warranty you would not have to do anything, just provide access and the shower will be stripped, waterproofed and the tiles replaced at no cost to you.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Good luck getting dodgy tradies (butchers) back to fix that. Anybody who does those sort of dodgy showers would be unlicensed and unnaccountable.