Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Tips on tile cutting?

Novice

Default Tips on tile cutting?

Hi, was wondering if anyone has any tips on cutting odd shapes out of tiles. I have a waste hole i need to tile around and it is octagon shaped so i will need to cut pieces out of 2 tiles, one being 5 straight lines, the other 3. I have a scorer, tile nipper (but keep breaking the tiles) and a tile cutter thing as well, but thats only good for breaking full tiles, I only want a piece out of each!
    Any help pleeaaaseeee.....I can't tile anymore floor until I cut these 2 darn tiles!

Hi mum, I have a tile cutting diamond blade in my 4" grinder that slices through them like butter, blades are usually under $20 and last for ages I cut pavers, bricks, tiles etc with them. You can knibble out all sorts of odd shapes with them. A full face sheild is also a good idea to avoid little bits of tile hitting your face.
    A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Novice

Thanks
    Managed to get it finally with tile nippers, broke a couple of tiles in the process and got mighty sore hands, but got there in the end

Angle grinder with diamond blade is the only reliable way if you have any more than one to cut..

Cheers
    Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    Angle grinder with diamond blade is the only reliable way if you have any more than one to cut..
    No it's not!!

I've also used one of these http://www.qepaust.com.au/index.php?q=node/550 recently to cut some odd tile shapes. Worked a treat despite being a bit time consuming.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Old Chippy 6K

For more than 30 years I have been using the carborundum or tungsten carbide blades similar to SBD's - they can be bought to fit a regular hacksaw frame or the coping saw type frame pictured. They will cut any shape and any thickness and if a starter hole is made will also cut shapes in the middle of tiles - totally freehand.

Especially for when I have to use rare or expensive tiles that I want to be sure of not breaking I use one of these blades with care. A little slow, but usually there are only a few tiles to be specially cut so it is fine. I use diamond blades and I have tile saw too, but they are really blunt instruments and best for regular straight cuts - although with practice and care one can make some pretty complicated cuts.

Good on you for getting it done anyway!