Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Wall or floor tiles first?

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    235

    Default Wall or floor tiles first?

    I would think "hydrodynamics would say floor first, but practicalities say wall first.....
    Any thoughts.

    b22b

  2. #2
    1K Club Member Gooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Most tilers will do wall first then floor. Mainly because this will allow them to finish in one day.

    Thats the way I did it. (Even though it took me more like 4 days).

    Actual process is wall first, except last row near floor. Then floor. Then last row of wall.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...
    __________________

  3. #3
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    The code states that wall tiles must overlap floor tiles, also tiled hobs should a top tile that overlaps both vertical tiles on each side.

    When tiling a shower, do the floor first, then screw level batten to the wall just high enough to fit a tile under it at the lowest point, then tile the walls, by the time you have done this you should be able to remove the batten and cut the remaining bottom row of tiles for a perfect fit.

    Good luck.

    PS. Don't forget to seal the screw holes when you take the batten off, a dob of almost any sealant will be fine.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

  4. #4
    Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    235

    Default Could you run a 15mm packer around the floor?

    10mm for tile and 5mm for adhesive (10x10 notched trowel)
    I've done this with my stack stone.
    Or maybe it should be a 17mm packer to allow for 10mm tile, 5mm of adhesive and 2mm of grout between wall and floor.

    b22b

  5. #5
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Most tilers will fill the small gap between floor tile and wall with tile glue as this area will be covered by the bottom wall tile and the gap under it will be grouted.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

  6. #6
    Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    235

    Default dont think you know what I mean....

    I've just done some stack stone in the foyer, but before I tiled the floor.
    I inserted a 20mm packer/spacer board underneath prior to starting the first row and then stacked over it.
    The next day I've nocked the spacer out leaving a 16mm gap for me to adhesive (5mm) and set my floor tile (10mm) at a later time. Finally filling the remaining gap with grout.
    Of course this assumes your floor is suitable to do such a thing well. Flat, level etc.

    Why wouldnt this be a common practice instead of stuffing around with the absent bottom row and damaging the villaboard/membranes with knock in knock out temp supports?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy22Bob View Post
    I've just done some stack stone in the foyer, but before I tiled the floor.
    I inserted a 20mm packer/spacer board underneath prior to starting the first row and then stacked over it.
    The next day I've nocked the spacer out leaving a 16mm gap for me to adhesive (5mm) and set my floor tile (10mm) at a later time. Finally filling the remaining gap with grout.
    Of course this assumes your floor is suitable to do such a thing well. Flat, level etc.

    Why wouldnt this be a common practice instead of stuffing around with the absent bottom row and damaging the villaboard/membranes with knock in knock out temp supports?
    BillyBob,
    I think your method works fine as long as the floor is flat and level all round. The theory about starting the wall on the second row is that you work from a straight and level line that you've marked, then you can come back and finish the bottom row which may need cutting if the floor isn't straight and level.
    Murray
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

  8. #8
    DNL
    DNL is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Murray - I originally did my bathroom leaving the bottom row until last.

    If I recall, I ended up cutting the bottom row of tiles to fit where the floor was uneven or not level.

    I am about to gut my bathroom and do it again, and will do the same. Leaving the bottom row until last after the floor tiles are laid. If needed, I'll trim tiles to ensure I get a consistent gap. At least this time I have a wet diamond blade table tile cutter so it will be easier.

    cheers
    Dave

  9. #9
    Golden Member m6sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    624

    Default

    walls first then floors

    Imagine if you had to cut every bottom tile so that it was level all the way around the bathroom

    just waterproof all the wall and floors and you wont have any problems

    Also i dont like the idea of using grout in the junction of the wall and floors as with any joint there will be movement and it will crack

    if your worried about " hydrodynamics " grout isnt water proof
    if you go packing the gap between the wall cuts and the floors it defeats the purpose
    water will still get behind it

    Sometime these people writing " The codes " have never had to do the work

  10. #10
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m6sports View Post
    walls first then floors

    Imagine if you had to cut every bottom tile so that it was level all the way around the bathroom

    just waterproof all the wall and floors and you wont have any problems

    Also i dont like the idea of using grout in the junction of the wall and floors as with any joint there will be movement and it will crack

    if your worried about " hydrodynamics " grout isnt water proof
    if you go packing the gap between the wall cuts and the floors it defeats the purpose
    water will still get behind it

    Sometime these people writing " The codes " have never had to do the work
    Indeed, there are tiles that let water through as well.

    As for the practice of tilers filling the gap between the floor tiles with glue (Not grout), it should not matter if water passes through it, the waterproofing will be between the glue and and wall/floor.

    Though I do like the practice myself.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

  11. #11
    Golden Member m6sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    624

    Default

    then whats the reason to tile floors first
    doing the walls first will cut down on alot of extra cutting
    and IMO look better

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m6sports View Post
    doing the walls first will cut down on alot of extra cutting
    Not sure why doing the walls first would reduce the amount of cutting?

    If you do the walls first, you start on the second row and then come back and cut and fit the bottom row to fit to the floor. You should end up with the same number of cuts no matter which you do first.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

  13. #13
    Golden Member m6sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murray44 View Post
    Not sure why doing the walls first would reduce the amount of cutting?

    If you do the walls first, you start on the second row and then come back and cut and fit the bottom row to fit to the floor. You should end up with the same number of cuts no matter which you do first.
    doing the floors either way you will need to cut them to fit the layout

    but if you do the floors first you will need to cut the bottom row and top row of tiles compared to just cutting the top row of tiles to fit the wall

    also doing the walls first will protect them then doing the tilling of the walls
    from droped glue or tools

  14. #14
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    3,278

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by m6sports View Post
    then whats the reason to tile floors first
    doing the walls first will cut down on alot of extra cutting
    and IMO look better

    The BSA and Aust Standards state that vertical tiles must overlap horizontal tiles.

    This helps to reduce the amount of moisture that gets through the grout at the wall to floor interface and on tiled hobs.

    I
    I
    I
    ________

    ____________
    Ixxxxxxxxxxxx I


    Good Luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

  15. #15
    Golden Member m6sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Billy22Bob so as stated if you want to do it by CODE
    do the floors first

    But i know what i would be doing

  16. #16
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    You do not have to start on the floor tiles, in fact it would be a mistake to do the floor first because it could get damaged or covered in droppings.

    And, because the outer edge of the shower base may not be even all round the bottom row of tiles need cutting to fit properly.

    Most tilers will fit a level batten on the wall just one tile higher than the lowest point, then tile up the walls leaving the bottom row out.

    Then lay the floor tiles and return the next day or much later the same day and remove the battens and cut the bottom row of tiles in.

    This means more time tiling and less time waiting for clues to cure.

    Hope this helps.

    Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

  17. #17
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I usually tile the walls first because there's always some wall adhesive and grout that seems to find it's way onto the floor no matter how many dust sheets you put down. I then talk the customer into a diamond pattern on the floor which, looks better anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12th May 2011, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th Apr 2010, 06:59 PM
  3. Who makes wall and floor tiles in Australia?
    By 1luckygirl in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th Jan 2010, 05:20 PM
  4. Floor & wall tiles
    By colonel1 in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th Apr 2009, 12:58 PM
  5. Floor Tiles 1st or Wall Sheeting 1st
    By skot in forum Tiling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st Feb 2009, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •