Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Waterproof panelling (Showerwall)

Novice

Default Waterproof panelling (Showerwall)

Hi there,

Has anyone seen or used waterproof panelling in the bathroom or kitchens before?
    I am looking at a UK product called Showerwall, which looks fantastic and would be very easy to put together.
    It's 10.5mm thick product, core material is Moisture Resistant MDF & coating is high pressure waterproof laminate that is very smooth & glossy.
    Showerwall Paneling
    You can use install the panels together as a tongue & groove clip system (silicone between) and fix the panels via screws in one of the tongue/behind where the other clips in or you can also sue adhesive. They have various assembly kits/extrusion pieces to do the internal/external corners, bases & H joiners to do their straight panels.

Installation Instructions - http://www.abbuildingproducts.com.au...tions-2012.pdf

I am wanting to use this instead of tiling in a new secondary bathroom (simple corner shower on an ancrylic base with glass screens, tiled floor) but wondering about the panels fixing/gluing to waterproof membraned villaboard/blue board - as tiling usually can take a few mm's of waterproof membrane imperfections.
    These panels may not take any at all, they are quite rigid, surface would need to be very straight.

Or should I waterproof at all?

Any thoughts or tips if I end up going this way, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Golden Member

I've seen a product like that on one of the recent renovation shows in Sydney.... in fact the video clip in your link above is the actual footage from the reno show i was thinking about.
    It won't look a million bucks but its nice and simple and quick. Bunnings has something similar also. Panels with some kind of fake tiles. I wouldn't go for the fake tiles myself, but those panels your looking at could be ok.

3K Club Member

Yes, you will need to waterproof the area before the sheets are installed.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Novice

Thank you Oldsaltoz.

I'll be testing for the best adhesive between the waterproof membrane panels.
    I definitely won't be screwing the panels through!
    What is the best roller/technique to apply the membrane for a flat finish?
    Also, in your experience what are some of the better priced wet area plaster sheets?

I'll start a thread with photos over the next few weeks for my project.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by peersy View Post
    Thank you Oldsaltoz.

I'll be testing for the best adhesive between the waterproof membrane panels.
    I definitely won't be screwing the panels through!
    What is the best roller/technique to apply the membrane for a flat finish?
    Also, in your experience what are some of the better priced wet area plaster sheets?

I'll start a thread with photos over the next few weeks for my project.
    The finish on the waterproofing is not what you are looking for, it's the compatibility of the products used and the results of any tests for stick ability you need answers on.

I never use wet area plasterboard, just the thought of relying on thin sheet of treated paper between moisture and a plaster sheet makes me cringe, it only takes a pin hole and that plaster turns to mush. I would advise anyone to use Villaboard or similar sheeting.

For this application I would advise full tanking of the shower walls to avoid any effect of possible condensation forming behind the sheets as well as corner flashings and all work to be carried out according to the current Waterproofing Standards.

The range of procucts from Wet-seal are all fully tested by the CSIRO and an independent tester called Branz. The tile glue and adhesive companies also do their own tests on the products and all meet or exceed the criteria.

Good luck. ")
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html