Hire the best Bathroom Renovator

Waterproofing on uneven walls and screed finish

Apprentice (new member)

Default Waterproofing on uneven walls and screed finish

Hi everyone, wondering if someone help me with this... I have gutted a bathroom (the building is brick construction throughout) and the walls are dented/uneven from the jackhammer and chisels.

Do i need to render the walls smooth first before applying the waterproof, or is ok to simply waterproof over the walls as is?

Also, when finishing a screed prior to waterproofing, what is the difference between finishing with a wood float and a foam float? i have seen someone finish with a foam float, but have read that screeds should be finished with a wood float for waterproofing. Is there a difference between the two?

Thanks!

Default waterproofing

I have gutted a bathroom (the building is brick construction throughout) and the walls are dented/uneven from the jackhammer and chisels.

Do i need to render the walls smooth first before applying the waterproof, or is ok to simply waterproof over the walls as is?
    Hi AndyH

I am guessing that the walls of brick have been rendered and you would just be repairing any significant gouges with cement render. I am not a tiler but my limited experience with tiling taught me that if the surface is true the tiling is a breeze. I would get the walls as straight and flat as possible without any area that is not sound. It does not have to be too smooth as a good textured finish with give excellent adhesion of the tile. Once happy that it is all good then do the waterproofing.
    Also, when finishing a screed prior to waterproofing, what is the difference between finishing with a wood float and a foam float? i have seen someone finish with a foam float, but have read that screeds should be finished with a wood float for waterproofing. Is there a difference between the two?
    Never used a foam float - I used a wooden one. Secret is not to get the screed mix too wet. When you mix it, it should hold together when you shape it. I added Kemcote (bonding agent) to the mix to improve the adhesive quality of the screed. Also painted the Kemcote to the surface of the slab before putting down the screed and it stuck like you know what to a blanket.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Good luck.
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Apprentice (new member)

thanks for your reply juan, that helps alot!

Anyone else have any other info to offer?