Hire the best Plumber

Fitting new cabinets into a cavity

Default Fitting new cabinets into a cavity

Hi all,

I'm about to undertake a laundry rebo for the Mrs and I have a longish wall that sits between 2 walls, so in a sense it's a cavity. Just wondering how I'd measure that so that the cupboards fit in snug. Do I measure the inside corner to corner, and then out to the depth of the cupboards or do I do some sort of infill either end ?

Thanks
    Geoff

Community Moderator

Are you building the cupboards?

It is usual to leave a gap at each end and finish with an infill panel. The main reason is that most walls are not 100 percent straight or plumb.

The size of the infill will depend on the the size of the cabinets or up to you if they are full custom size.

...maybe this will assist. Ive also seen where they have a ~30mm wide filler piece at the ends to allow for error. You can then cut the filler piece to a width that suits the final fitout without the need t be mm perfect for the cupboard width

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-05-31_13-59-39.jpg   2021-05-31_13-59-03.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Are you building the cupboards?
    Yes I am

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    It is usual to leave a gap at each end and finish with an infill panel. The main reason is that most walls are not 100 percent straight or plumb.

The size of the infill will depend on the the size of the cabinets or up to you if they are full custom size.
    Looking at some pics of designs on google a lot seem to have no infill and finish up against the walls at both ends.... How would they get that so perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    ...maybe this will assist. Ive also seen where they have a ~30mm wide filler piece at the ends to allow for error. You can then cut the filler piece to a width that suits the final fitout without the need t be mm perfect for the cupboard width
    Thanks for the pics. I think you'd still have to be pretty spot on to achieve that result too...

1K Club Member

As bart says, 30mm or so is what you leave at each end. I also make one for the bottom. Nothing worse than looking from underneath and seeing a big gap. The key is to "scribe" the filler pieces. I usually scribe, then join the two pieces (front longest) and insert. Fix from inside the cupboard.
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by garfield View Post
    Looking at some pics of designs on google a lot seem to have no infill and finish up against the walls at both ends.... How would they get that so perfect?
    No idea ? Build the wall to match the cabinets ?
    But having made the mistake in the past of trying to make cabinetry fit into a space such as described, good luck.
    If you do attempt it make sure the walls are perfectly straight and plumb before attempting it.

7K Club Member

Depends how long the wall is. But you could build and install the two end cupboards flush, square, perfectly level across the now-smaller 'cavity', and build cupboard/s to suit the remaining space. (simple to write )

1K Club Member

In my experience you will never find the two walls parallel for the whole depth that you want the cupboards to fill. They either flare out or close up at the front compared to the back.
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?